I think I have a bad setup please help

Jun 17, 2013
I have an above ground 21/43 oval 4' depth My pump is a Hayward 1.5 hp Hayward-Flo Matrix. Filter is a Hayward Perflex DE EC 40 (rated 40 gal flow rate)

I've had this for several years but now I'm wondering if I could replace the pump with something that is quieter and a lot more cost effective to run. My electric bill gets very high with this thing.

Not sure if this filter is big enough for a 21,000 gallon pool. Seems that the water in the far end doesn't mix very well.

They also sold me a 200,000 Btu heater, which I'm not sure is big enough.

Live in N. IL so its only used for about 3 months, so I'm not sure I would save much with a more efficient pump.

The best thing to do would be to change the motor to a 2-speed model. That will save you the greatest amount of money for the least amount of cost.

The filter is small, but if you go to a 2-speed pump you may be able to get by with it a bit longer.

Bama Rambler said:
The best thing to do would be to change the motor to a 2-speed model. That will save you the greatest amount of money for the least amount of cost.

The filter is small, but if you go to a 2-speed pump you may be able to get by with it a bit longer.

What size filter would you suggest? Any suggestions on the pump?

Just keep the pump you have and replace the motor with one that matches the sfhp (service factor x HP) except in a 2-speed.

For the filter, I'd say about a 48 sqft DE if you want to stick with that, or a 200 sqft cartridge or a 4 sqft sand filter would be about right.

types of pumps

Mod edit: I moved this post to your other thread so that all the information is in one place. Thanks...linen(forum moderator)

Manufactures make pumps for above and in ground pools. Can I use a pump that is designed for an in ground pool on my above ground system. I have a Hayward system and their web site only shows standard pumps for above ground. High efficiency pumps are for in ground.

Re: types of pumps

You can use an igp pump on a agp but it still needs to be sized correctly. Often the igp pumps move a lot more water than typical agp pumps. If you post more specifics maybe we can help.

[s:1o9l9t7v]Why are you replacing your current pump?

What is the model of the hayward pump?

What is type and model (or size) of your filter?

What size is your pool?[/s:1o9l9t7v]

I would say your EC40 is on the small side for a pool the size of yours, but not desperately so, if you want to stay with a Hayward Perflex DE filter I would suggest looking at the EC 65 or EC75.

Ike

linen said:
Now that I see you had this other thread (and have combined them), I also see Bama recommendation of a 2-speed motor replacement, a recommendation that I would second.

I have been looking but I can't find one from Hayward. Do I have to stay with Hayward or can I use a different manufacture? I figured I would have to stay with Hayward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hayward doesn't make motors so you just need to find one that the high speed data matches the sfhp, frame and voltage of the motor you have now.

If you can post a pic of the motor data plate we can help pic out one.

The two speed version of the motor for that pump is the a.o. smith BN50.

I did some searching and cheapest I can find at $200 from a store I know is: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Cent...n=aw_plaMain&gclid=CKCr6Z6a7LcCFaxaMgodTwYABg

Add to that a seal kit that will likely run about $30 and now you are at $230. At that price I would probably just buy the matrix SP15922S 1 hp 2-speed that can be had for ~$260 (though I have seen it as low as $230 in the past). That pump is a better fit for your pool. If someone can find the motor for cheaper, then imo, it might become worthwhile if the motor is less than $160.

linen said:
The two speed version of the motor for that pump is the a.o. smith BN50.

I did some searching and cheapest I can find at $200 from a store I know is: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Cent...n=aw_plaMain&gclid=CKCr6Z6a7LcCFaxaMgodTwYABg

Add to that a seal kit that will likely run about $30 and now you are at $230. At that price I would probably just buy the matrix SP15922S 1 hp 2-speed that can be had for ~$260 (though I have seen it as low as $230 in the past). That pump is a better fit for your pool. If someone can find the motor for cheaper, then imo, it might become worthwhile if the motor is less than $160.

That is similar to my present pump, but mine is a 1.5 hp single speed

chrisgjim said:
That is similar to my present pump, but mine is a 1.5 hp single speed
Yes, though the flow rate is slightly lower which is good for your pool and filter, plus it can be run on low speed that ends up saving about 50% electricity (running twice as long as you would run on high).

Flow rates can be found from performance curves, but you have to know what head pressure you are running at which has to do with the plumbing, filter, etc. The hayward matrix high speed curves are here (the sp1592 is the 1 hp and is the same curve as the sp15922S high speed and the sp1593 is the 1.5 hp):
power-flomatrix_perfdata.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.