couple questions from a newb

Jun 3, 2013
Hello all-

Thanks for the hugely informative forum. As a first season pool owner, i have gotten a lot of info from this place, thanks!

Here are my questions:

My water has been clear since we opened in early april. We had one small algae outbreak on the walls and i shocked following the instructions on this forum, which cleared it up. Through most of the season so far i have been battling to keep my alkalinity up around/above 80. My chlorine has been steady between 2-5, and my PH has been steady around 7.5 with minor adjustment here and there. We have a leak that we have been unsuccessful in locating so far and have been adding water, about 2 inches a week.

Why is my alkalinity dropping? Is this a common issue?

Should i try to keep the pH lower than 7.5? Why or why not?

How does CH effect vinyl liner pools? Should i be concerned with adjusting it?

After the shock process these were the readings i got at the local pool store (i have yet to invest in a good test kit, i know, i know...)

FC - 5
TC - 5
Alk - 80
CYA - 80
CH - 200
pH - 7.5

For my home testing i use a kit from leslie's on the recommendation of the "pro" who opened our pool this season. (did i mention this is our first season?)

I do currently use trichlor tabs, because that's what i walked into, but am considering switching to the BBB method based on my readings here.

Thanks again for the great info, eagerly awaiting your advice!

Welcome to tfp, Ididntknow :wave:

Ididntknow said:
Why is my alkalinity dropping? Is this a common issue?
It is when you use trichlor to chlorinate. In addtion to adding chlorine it also lowers TA and ph and raises cya. Your cya level is already to high so I would suggest stop using the pucks. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

Ididntknow said:
Should i try to keep the pH lower than 7.5? Why or why not?
I wouldn't go lower while you are still using the pucks since they will likely continue to lower your ph.

Ididntknow said:
How does CH effect vinyl liner pools? Should i be concerned with adjusting it?
Typically the only time CH is an issue for vinyl is if it gets really high. Yours is fine.

As it sounds like you already know, having your own test kit should be next on your list. It would be a shame to drain your pool to reduce cya just to find that the pool store result was wrong (often is). See:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparisonMany of us have the tf-100 since it is the best value.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.