New member, new inground build-Long Island

MBG75

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Long Island
Been lurking on the site a while, finally signed up last night.
Just signed a contract for a inground pool.
16x36 rectangle. 3'6" to 8'6"
Cement wall/vinyl liner
Cement steps/vinyl covered
Deep end steps (option)
Diving board
2 lights
2 skimmers/dual deep end drains
6 returns
Haywood 1.5hp pump
Haywood 4820 DE
Auto chlorinator

We kind of decided to have both sets of steps placed on the long side.

I have a few questions...
We are considering adding a SWG which is an additional expense. Is it worthwhile or is the auto chlorinator sufficient?

Considering adding a handrail at the shallow end steps. Anyone without one wish they had one?

Lastly, we are in the northeast, the pool will receive direct sun from the morning thru 1pm before it starts to get lost in the trees. I like the privacy and look of the trees, but would remove some of them if it will be a significant gain to the pool. Removing the trees would gain another 3 hours of sunlight.

Any comments or feedback appreciated,
Also I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.
Thank you,
Mike

Welcome to tfp, MBG75 :wave:

MBG75 said:
We are considering adding a SWG which is an additional expense. Is it worthwhile or is the auto chlorinator sufficient?
Assuming the auto chlorinator you mention is a puck feeder, that is not a good choice for regular chlorine mainentance since the pucks (trichlor) add cya, which very soon becomes a problem. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

I like my swg a lot, but swgs still require a good understanding and regular testing of pool chemistry.

MBG75 said:
Haywood 4820 DE
This is small (48 sq. ft.) for your ~25000 gallon pool. We would recommend a minimum DE filter size of 70 sq. ft.

MBG75 said:
Haywood 1.5hp pump
Which model is it? We would highly recommend a 2-speed version and if there will be no high volume water features, then probably a smaller pump would be better.

MBG75 said:
6 returns
This seems to me to be a lot of returns, will they be valved separately at the equipment pad so you can just select the ones you want?

MBG75 said:
Lastly, we are in the northeast, the pool will receive direct sun from the morning thru 1pm before it starts to get lost in the trees. I like the privacy and look of the trees, but would remove some of them if it will be a significant gain to the pool. Removing the trees would gain another 3 hours of sunlight.
Can you wait to cut the trees until after the pool is in? With that said, afternoon sun will do the most to warm the pool.

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, MBG75 :wave:

MBG75 said:
Assuming the auto chlorinator you mention is a puck feeder, that is not a good choice for regular chlorine mainentance since the pucks (trichlor) add cya, which very soon becomes a problem. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

I like my swg a lot, but swgs still require a good understanding and regular testing of pool chemistry.

MBG75 said:
Haywood 4820 DE
This is small (48 sq. ft.) for your ~25000 gallon pool. We would recommend a minimum DE filter size of 70 sq. ft.

MBG75 said:
Haywood 1.5hp pump
Which model is it? We would highly recommend a 2-speed version and if there will be no high volume water features, then probably a smaller pump would be better.

MBG75 said:
6 returns
This seems to me to be a lot of returns, will they be valved separately at the equipment pad so you can just select the ones you want?

MBG75 said:
Can you wait to cut the trees until after the pool is in? With that said, afternoon sun will do the most to warm the pool.

Thank you Linen

I'm going to look into the pump and filter
Info.

We are leaning towards SWG if the budget allows.

Some of the returns are for the stairs. I'll ask about valves.

As far as the trees, I can easily have them cut now. After the pool is in would be a problem as far as access.