Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where is the best place for filter and pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Where is the best place for filter and pump

I am having my AGP installed on Thursday. The ground slopes downward about 30 inches from high side to low side. Where is the best place to put the filter and pump? Thanks so much for the help. I can't wait until I know enough that I can post answers to other people's questions.
    Round 24' AGP
    13,500 gallons of cold water
    Sand filter
    BBB
    North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sounds like my neighbors yard. They put it on the low side, opposite the access point (ladder/deck area) as the pool installer will likely have to level your spot by digging down. So you are better off putting it on the low side, even tho it means walking around the pool to access the equipment.

Try to retain access from either direction. Ours can only be accessed from walking all the way around one direction of the pool and I regret that layout now. Wouldn't mind adding stairs from our deck down to the filter/pump.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

middle or low?

The guy who graded the yard today said we should put it in the middle of the slope. I'm new to pool ownership and so I'm not sure exactly how the pump and filter work so I don't know if it would be better to have them high or low. Thanks for the help!
    Round 24' AGP
    Sand filter
    BBB
    North Carolina

4. Back To Top    #4
    It doesn't make too much difference as long as the pump and filter are below the water level. Choose a spot based on access to the equipment and overall appearance.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Great! Thanks for the help!
    Round 24' AGP
    Sand filter
    BBB
    North Carolina

6. Back To Top    #6

I assume that you will be building your deck on the high end and hopefully towards your house. Then I would suggest mounting your equipment with the same level as your pool base on the lower end. But if your PB decide on the mid end, it's fine too but you'll need to construct a house for them like a cave. The walls can be from concrete blocks and a concrete slab on top which could even act as part of decking. This way, you'll not hear a sound from your pump. The nearer to the pool the better for maximum flow and pressure.
    8,000 gal IG concrete & tiled lap pool, 1/2 hp pump, 24" sand filter, SWG Auto Clean, whole pool under shed, 3 X 2ft waterfall one end overflow the other end. TF100 Testkit. 80 F Water whole year round.

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think it will make any difference as long as its out of sight and level. You will want to consider the humming noise a pump makes also.
    lartay