Slightly cloudy pool

Mar 12, 2012
Maryland
So When I started up my above ground pool this year I did the regular stuff (The things I learned from this site). I started up my filter and ran it continuously. I then put in enough bleach until I reached my shock level. I kept doing this until the water became crystal clear. I then ran the pump according the sched of 4 hours a day. So it stayed like this for a few weeks. Then we had some rains and the temp started to increase. I went on vacation and when I came back the pool water was slightly green and the pool water level had lowered below the skimmer. I was like Darn. I increased the water level and ran the pump and re shocked the pool. The water started clearing up and the green went away. I vacuumed the bottom and cleaned the walls as well.

However after 3 weeks of running the pool pump and filter continuously the pool water is cloudy, but not crystal clear like before. These are my recent chem.

TC - above 5 ppm
PH - above 8.2
CYA - 30 to 40
TA - 50 ppm
TH - didn't bother to measure.

A few weeks ago I put in a few gallons of bleach and ran it and the cloudyness stayed. I don't believe this is alge I think this is something else because last year I had the same issue all year around.

I would run the pump/filter continiously for a while and see how it reacts. 4 hours daily may just not be enough. Please list your pool type/size and equipment in a sig line in your profile like mine below.

Unless your FC level is quite high (high FC invalidates the PH test) your PH is too high.

Other than that, keep at it, clean the filter as needed, and you should see an improvement each day. If you are not seeing an improvement each day, perhaps a small improvement, then something more complex is going on.

If you are trying to maintain FC at shock level, I suggest you let it come down a little just for a moment and double check the PH while the FC level is relatively low, and adjust the PH if needed.

Lower your pH down into the mid 7's. (assuming your FC is not w-a-ay high like 10 ppm plus)

Boost your normal FC to about double and run the pump 24/7 and see what that does.

Those test results look like test strip results.....Ugh!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.