Green Pool frustration!!! Newby trying to take control:)

KGK said:
Okay... is it possible to leave it at shock level during the day or does the sun burn it off too fast? I am so frustrated with the cloudy pool. Blue, but cloudy. My pool company test results vary so greatly, I don't know if its right. My Cya went from 40 to 20 over night according to the pool company test results. I shocked based on the new numbers but something isn't right. Am I stuck until I get my test kit? Anything I can do in the interim?
You
do the best you can to keep it at shock level during the day. If you're not home and can't add bleach, you can't. End of story.

The pool company tests are wrong. Period. You would only lose that much CYA if you drained half your pool overnight. Once the test kit arrives, you will be both angry and relieved when you see how fast things can go.

You are living what we tell everyone about the pool store tests-they are NOT correct!

Keep shocking. The sooner you get your test kit the sooner you will be on top of what is happening with your pool. Until then keep on , keeping on!

Got plans for the weekend? I'm guessing shocking your pool? You'll have the test tomorrow, you can start as soon as you get home, you can do it all weekend. Hopefully it will go very quickly and you'll be swimming sometime next week! Do think about all those sunk costs, you can't get them back, all you can do is look to the future!

I got my test kit...Hope I did this right:

FC:29.5
CYA: 30 (I could barley see the black dot at 30 but totally disappeared closer to 27ish)
PH: 7.5
TA: 300
CC: 1.5

Suggestions? My FC seems really high, but I have been shocking to get rid of the cloud. Its almost clear today, but not quite. My TA seems high too?

Thanks for any help.

Keep shocking. Don't add any chlorine till it falls down to below/at 12 PPM (your target based on your CYA). Your PH test isn't accurate above 10PPM of Chlorine, so disregard that. We can work on TA after you get your pool clear. Test your water tonight after dark, and then again in the morning before the sun is hitting your pool. If you lose chlorine overnight something is still living in the pool (testing overnight eliminates sunlight as a factor for chlorine loss). If you don't lose any chlorine that will be good.

It's probably going to take a few more days for your filter to clear the cloudy, sand filters can take a little while i've read.

pool-school/overnight_fc_test

You can read this so you get an idea of what would be needed to lower TA

pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
KGK said:
So don't add any chlorine until I do the overnight chlorine test? When you say keep shocking, does that mean only if I lose chlorine over night?

So i'm saying don't add any chlorine right now cause your level is really high for your CYA level. Let the chlorine level drop down to your target level for shocking of 12 PPM from the 29.5 PPM you have now.

If you pass the test tonight, you still are supposed to keep shocking your pool until it is clear. You can swim once you get your FC level down to 12 ppm.....

My FC was 28 last night and now 22 this morning. The pool looks as clear as it has this hole season. It still has a little cloudiness in the deepest part of the deep end (9') but I can see the bottom fairly easy. FC levels are still high. I guess I wait until they drop to below 12 before I shock again and then do the over night chlorine test to see if it is stable? I assume the current FC level means there is enough chlorine in the water to continue to clean it until is drops into normal range throughout the day?

Your assumptions match my understanding of shocking your pool. Your observation of chlorine loss overnight indicate it is still killing something. Let it get down to 12 then keep it there until you past the over night test.

My FC was 14 when I wen to bed last night. This AM it is 13. Is that close enough to pass the overnight test? It is going to be a hot and sunny day today so I would assume that my levels will be in the normal range by tonight. This evening I will test for CYA, TA, PH and FC and post the results and to plug into the pool calculator to try and balance it accordingly. It looks very clear right now.

I have learned a lot in theory, but I will be glad to get it to proper levels and gain some actual experience. I just looked at the pool and it has a slight haze to it. Clear but slightly clouded. My oldest son swam last night with 5-6 boys and they were pretty dirty from mudding. They said hosed off prior to getting in, but they were still pretty dirty. Nobody complained of burning or skin irritation since chlorine levels were pretty high still:) Maybe relevant to the cause of the haze in the pool?. I think I will test all levels tonight to see if my CYA is accurate along with PH and TA and then bring it to shock level again based on the current CYA numbers. I would like to see if I can start settling in. I know its a process. Do you think that's a good plan?

KGK said:
Yes...I am curious. If I bring it to shock level tonight, when do I test it (tonight after adding bleach) so I know an accurate FC number to compare to in the morning?
Yes. When I'm ready to try the OCLT I like to test around 7pm, then using PoolCalc I add enough Chlorine to a couple of points above shock level and let it circulate about an hour or two. I test again right before dark and then again before the sun hits the pool in the morning.

I write the night test number down so I don't forget and have to do it over again. That's probably just me but I'm gettin old and pretty soon I'll be able to hide my own easter eggs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.