Green water and low ph

Jul 8, 2012
Hello I have a 24' round agp that was filled with a pool water delivery service two days ago. The water source was a well. I used the same service last year without problems. I use a swg for chlorine. Due to not having the proper salt level in the water I put one gallon of bleach in the pool last night and 3lbs of stabilizer. This morning i got up to put 360 lbs of pool salt in and the water was green but relatively clear. I did put one pack of aqua chem shock in as well which resulted in the high FC levels I guess. I don't think it's an algae outbreak but possibly metals after reading on tfp. I have read about sequestrants and other products but I am very new to pool chem. Here are my water results:

15 FCC
15TC
0CC
25 CYA
80 TA
60CH
pH 6.8

Due to the very low pH and high FC levels can I add metal sequestrant without problems? Also, should I use borax to raise the pH now or with until the FC lowers?

Thanks for any advice you can give. I have a very eager 8 yo read to jump in.

If you got 6.8 pH with FC that high, your pH is actually much much lower. Check out how high FC affects the pH reading: accurate-ph-test-during-shock-levels-with-r-007-t61076.html

Let the FC come down on its own until it's below 10 then recheck pH. As it is now, what you might be seeing is precipitation, which, if you can filter it out, will remove the iron completely. Check out these threads for some ideas. Or try the google search here waaaay down in the lower left. iron-problem-will-this-ever-end-t47144.html
a-tale-of-two-filters-and-ugly-rusty-water-t46130.html

[center:xoiucybb]
CAA2FF1F-orig.jpg
[/center:xoiucybb]

Ok the water has improved in color and clarity, however, it still has a green tint to it. Any ideas why it still is green with a FC level of 2? My understanding was that it would improve once chlorine levels drop.

Here are latest results:

FC 2
CC 0
TC 2
TA 80
CYA 30
CH 30
pH 7.2

thanks82 said:
Ok the water has improved in color and clarity, however, it still has a green tint to it. Any ideas why it still is green with a FC level of 2? My understanding was that it would improve once chlorine levels drop.

Here are latest results:

FC 2
CC 0
TC 2
TA 80
CYA 30
CH 30
pH 7.2
That's still metal in the water. Pale orangish rusty water will look blue with the blue pool walls. I think it's time to re-read pool-school/metal%20stains and shop for some sequestrant.

Thanks for the quick reply. I added one bottle of sequestrant. I also have some ferri tabs that are supposed to arrive tomorrow. If I add more sequestrant will that prevent the ferri tabs from being effective?

thanks82 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I added one bottle of sequestrant. I also have some ferri tabs that are supposed to arrive tomorrow. If I add more sequestrant will that prevent the ferri tabs from being effective?
I have no idea. There is another thread where someone will be testing them, ferri-tabs-experiment-review-t62508.html

Hold off on them and see what he gets.

Yesterday I received a Culator in the mail that I had ordered to try for the iron problem. I put it in the skimmer as instructed last night and today the water is crystal clear. So glad to finally have water that is not green. I'll keep the ferri tabs for when I have to replenish and see how they do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.