Replacing burned pool light

I'm not in the business, but I know this can be a little more expensive than you think, depending on the style of fixture, type of bulb, etc.
On my pool, the bulb is about $28 and the required gasket is about $36 (pool store prices). The time to disassemble and replace the bulb can be an hour or so. My fixture is a Pentair brand and it has 10 screws that have to come out to remove the lense (to change the bulb). If trouble is encountered removing the underwater fixture due to a stripped or frozen screw, the time requirements can go much higher.

I was just trying to get the average price because one of my clients was sort of unhappy about the price I gave her for the job. I am switching her out to an LED type spotlight so her future maintenance will be mostly unnecessary...the bulb was almost $40. My time involved was about 45 min & my fee was only $75. Needed to be sure I wasn't out of line on price. You know how sometimes a customer can make you second guess your own self.

I'm not in the business... so FWIW. Depending on the part of the country I can see how $75 for an hour (or part of one) can make you ask about a price. But considering it's a trip to get there and more involved than just "changing a lightbulb" I think you are not out of line. I will sometime sanity check a quote by seeing if the labor and materials are roughly equal - the other day I turned down a quote from a mason who was looking for 6X the materials cost on a small reno job. Again, in your case - because of a relatively low cost of materials you are in that ballpark too (or is that 2X40 bulb? in which case you are just under).

My wife can give our contractors fits because she will decide what something "should" cost then keep asking questions if it is not what she expects. However she is right more often than not... and when she is out of line with expectations she will adjust them if someone gives her a better explanation than "sorry lady that's what we charge". Good luck.

Not out of line at all. Gotta have a minimum for coming out. Usually, I charge an hour if I just step foot around the pool, unless it is a very good client and I was in the 'hood anyway.

Don't be ashamed to charge what you ate worth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.