1-1/2" pipe on a Hayward SP2615X20

Jun 16, 2013
Hey folks,

Just found this forum and I gonna through out a question to see if I screwed up.

My 30+ year old Hayward 1607x10 pump just died and I have a replacement on order (it hasn't shipped yet). I was thinking my old pump was 1-1/2 HP so when I was looking at my options I decided to purchase an SP2615x20 2 HP thinking I'll give myself more ooomph and things will work better. I was concerned about plumbing but just kinda pulled the trigger before I did all my research.

After digging into the specs I realized that my old 1 HP is only 1-1/2" piping (I also realized that everything up to 1-1/2 hp looks to be 1-1/2").

My question, I guess, is three parts.
1) I realize the 2 HP is probably overkill, but I've always wanted to add a cleaner. Is the 2 HP too much of an overkill? Would I be ok with a 1-1/2 HP. My pool is 16'x32'. According to the company who installed it, is 18,000 GALS.

2) More importantly, will the 1-1/2" piping be starving it? I'm thinking I can adapt it up, but will it shorten the life of the pump.

3) Or will the pressure be too much on the filter. I have a Hayward EC-65.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Russ

btw.. thought I'd edit this after I posted. I move my pump a few years ago to a shed about 20' from the pool and sits up about 3' from the water level. I just always felt like the pump worked a little hard since I moved it. I also run it on 2 - 6 hour shifts. A ran it less right after we moved in but it wasn't keeping it clean.

Getting a larger pump won't improve anything, instead it will make more noise, use more electricity, and probably damage the filter. 1.5" pipe mostly likely won't hurt the pump, though it will make it less efficient.

Thanks very much for the input. I've never looked into a 2 speed pump. Just did some reading on it. And although the I like the concept, I just have a mental thing about running my pump 24/7. It's probably just me. I did just cancel my order for the 2 HP and reorder a 1-1/2 simply because I am worried about damaging the filter, and with the plumbing it will be an easy change out.

Thanks all for the information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.