New to salt water pool systems

Jun 16, 2013
We purchased a Intex 20 by 52 pool that came with the 1600 GPH sand filter/pump system. I added the intex Krystal clear salt water system. I am completely new to the salt water sytem and have a few questions.
1. Should I add anything other than the salt when first starting the pool. I have seen some stuff like salt water magic and am wondering if I should use that.
2. What test kit\strips do I need?
3.What online pool supply company is the best to go with? Doheny's seems to be a good choice especially since I need stuff ASAP. That is if it will ever stop raining so I can finish getting the pool up.

Any other hints would be greatly appreciated too. I am new to salt water pools. We had a chlorine pool a few years ago until the side wall blew out. Decided to get another pool this year. A few friends have the intex salt water pool systems and they love them. Hope I made a good choice. Thank you for any and all input/suggestions.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: If you continue to read a bit further, you will find we teach staying away from "pool supplies" but rather learning the chemistry of your pool water and managing it yourself through careful testing.

You may not need anything ASAP except a very good test kit. Test strips are not adequate for what we teach.

Your salt pool is a chlorine pool. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....that should generate some questions and we'll see if we can help you from there.

I wish I had found this site when I first started with my pool. You have made a good call signing up here. I was in a mess b/c of buying products I didn't understand and taking variable advice from variable pool stores, it didn't work for me and it cost me thousands.

So I suggest ASAP you:
1. Read though pool school - it's easy to understand and explains all the things you need to know - I wouldn't add anything until you do that
2. Get a good test kit (see pool school section on that) - I bought the TFT-100 - it's great
3. Commit a few minutes every day and test your water (at least free chlorine (yup that is in your salt water pool) and pH)

I did a quick internet search on salt water magic this is what I found:

"Specifically engineered for saltwater pool systems, Natural Chemistry’s Salt Water Magic uses a custom mineral formula to achieve the perfect balance between nature and technology. Gentle pool salt quickly dissolves in water, while a metal deactivator protects against staining and prolongs cell life. Pool water conditioner shields chlorine from UV rays. A stabilizer helps regulate water balance, protecting pool equipment and enhancing swimmer comfort. Last but not least, natural enzymes fight organic build-up everywhere."

So it sounds like it has Salt in it, a metal sequestrant, cyanuric acid, not sure what a stabilizer is (usually this refers to cyanuric acid too), and "natural enzymes' - not sure what those are.

My concern is yes you need salt - at a specific level (your salt water generator manual should tell you where it should be), you also need cyanuric acid (at a specific level, pool school will tell you) - so if one is high and one is low - this product could get you in trouble. My advice is I wouldn't use that but I'd follow the rules in pool school for balancing a salt water system for a start, and you need a good test kit, and ask questions here, they are awesome here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.