Jun 16, 2013
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I've been reading and reading and reading and **think** I have a grasp on where I'm going, but want to do a sanity check.

I've got a 12000 gallon SWG pool, using the Jandy Aqua Pure. Current temp is 86 degrees. The pool is in partial sun all day and clean of most leaves/organic material. I've had a pool guy for a couple of years, but have decided to take the plunge and try to do this myself.

Currently my pool is slightly greenish. Enough to be noticeable, but not enough to keep anyone from wanting to jump in.

I've got the testing kit and have the following results:
FC 1
TC 2
PH 7.8
TA 50
CH 200 (to purplish, 220-240 to my idea of blue)
CYA - less than 30. I can still see the dot, but it is hazy when it's full

I'm thinking, that my next step (according to the pool calculator) is 5 lb. of stabilizer/CYA to get to 70 and 181 oz. of 8.25% (what I have) bleach to go to a goal of 11 on the FC shock the pool.

I'm looking for a sanity check. Does this sound right?

Thanks for your help!

Lynn

Welcome!

Assume CYA is 20ish and raise it 10 ppm, then commence the shock process using 13 as your target FC level. Keep adding bleach every couple hours to keep it at 13 until that green goes away. More complete instructions are in pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Once it's clear and sparkly, then raise CYA to 70 and let the SWG take over. A few weeks of testing and adjusting and it will all make sense and you will have a clean sparkly pool for the rest of the summer.

Got it. Thanks so much for explaining. I'm glad I asked before dumping all of that stabilizer in!

Salinity is a little low too - 2.6 and it should be 3.0-3.5. Should I wait until after the shock to add salt?

LynnOnTheWeb said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll do that.

I got the CYA off of this chart. I'm guessing that I don't understand what I'm looking at?
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
Look at the difference in shock level between 30 and 70. If you want to buy and carry a few dozen extra gallons of bleach, take it all the way up in one shot. I wouldn't.

The SWG is sort of out of the loop during the shock process. Worry about salt after.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, pool looking good. I upped the chlorine to 13 (maybe? my test doesn't go that high) and this a.m. it was back at 1. Increased it again this a.m. and tested about an hour ago and it's at 5. I'll test once more in a couple of hours and add more bleach if needed.

Stabilizer put in sock in filter basket. Will retest next Sunday to see if the levels are better. Adding MA tonight to get the PH down per pwrstrk's advice.

I know next steps are to let the SWG take over. That said, should I continue managing chlorine via bleach for the week, until I know my CYA is up? And while waiting, should I be focused on getting my other levels to the ones listed here:
pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Or, should I try to let SWG tak start taking over now?

Thanks again for your advice on this. Waking up to a pool that had less green than the night before is totally giving me confidence (and maybe a little cockiness)!

Edit: Went and retested everything. PH dropped to 7.2 on its own.

You can use the SWG to help maintain FC levels between bleach doses, but it won't be able to do it alone.

Is the pool clear? That's the first test to know when the process is nearing completion. If it's still cloudy, you need to keep hammering it with bleach.

Just treat it as a bleach pool with CYA of 30 until it's sparkling and passes the three tests. Then you worry about raising CYA and adjusting things to SWG recommendations.

If you've payed a pool guy for a few years, a good test kit should be an easy cost to swallow. You will really need it to know when your done shocking. No other way to read shock levels and perform the OCLT test for shock process. It is your best tool for clean healthy water/pool.

If your test won't go up to 13 then you need a FAS-DPD test to add to what you have or a new test kit.

The process requires a high precision test that can measure at shock levels and give repeatable results with at least 0.5ppm accuracy and precision.

Sent via Tapatalk...

LynnOnTheWeb said:
This is the kit I have.
http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 81330.html

Should I just add the FAS/DPD or is there something else that needs to be added to my arsenal to make this complete? I'd like to order everything I need now so I have it when I need it.
The FAS-DPD will make it a K-2006.

Check your other reagents. The kit you have is sort of skimpy on things, especially the CYA test.

If you're in a shopping mood, get a speedstir. You won;t regret it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.