Intex 26' sand filter / pump upgrade opinions ...

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Looking to buy a sand filter and pump for my Intex. Fittings on my pool are already 1 1/2" so don't necessarily want to limit my choices to just Intex options. I have NO idea what I need from either a pump or filter standpoint. I do know I don't want to have to backwash every week .. ideally only once a month but at some point cost of filter & pump is an issue.

In reading up on selecting sand filters, it seems if I want an 8 hr turnover, 34 GPM is sufficient. For 6 hrs 45 GPM, 4 hours 67 GPM ... is this correct?

Also have to keep in mind I don't have power out by the pool. Plan to bury an extension cord from the GFI outlet on the side of my house to the pool area (for now).

Thanks!
Karen

The square foot measurements are referring to the surface area of the media inside the filter. When you look at the specifications of the filters your considering look for something like "effective filtration area." If you find a filter your thinking about buying, run it by the great folks here and you'll surely get a thumbs up or down.

Re: Intex 26' - sand filter / pump upgrade opinions ...

So in looking around it seems by the time I purchase a 1hp 2 speed pump + the recommended sand filter, I'm going to be pushing what I paid for the pool itself. Not to mention this setup might require some electrical work (ie more cost).

I can get the Intex 16" sand filter for $200 .... http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/home ... 671eg.html

Am I going to regret buying this, instead of something else?

Many thanks!
Karen

People have had good luck with that intex 2650 16" (1.4 sq. ft) filter at least on smaller intex style pools...but yours is a large pool. As it is not very expensive, so you could try it and see how it works for you. If will require fairly frequent back-washing as compared to the recommended minimum filter area I gave you above.

By the way, amazon.com has a good price on the 16" sand filter that some members here have gotten (as low as $130, though it is at $156 right now): http://www.amazon.com/Intex-56671EG-650-Gallon-Sand-Filter/dp/B002V1H11W

Linen,

Thanks for the information and patience with the newbie here :)

It looks like I can get this for $400 Pentair Sand Dollar 60 Pump & Filter System 1.5HP Part #: PNSD0060DO1160 ... which at least seems in between both cost & size wise. I don't know how to tell if this pump is a 2 speed pump....

However, as I type this I'm not sure a "combo" is the best course anyway b/c if one breaks (filter or pump) how easy is replacing just the one?

The Intex pump has the advantage of a long cord that can plug into my outlet on the side of the house (but the outlet is already a GFI outlet).

Will anything other than the Intex require wiring back to my panel box (b/c of increased amp / voltage needs) or can these other pumps / filters be plugged into the same outside outlet on a drop cord? I saw some of the pumps says 115v so I'm thinking it can't be plugged into the regular outlet ....

I promised to post pictures thru this process!! Headed out now to find a source for the heavy duty tarp and insulation ....

Karen

karenkolby said:
It looks like I can get this for $400 Pentair Sand Dollar 60 Pump & Filter System 1.5HP Part #: PNSD0060DO1160 ... which at least seems in between both cost & size wise. I don't know how to tell if this pump is a 2 speed pump....
That is a single speed version. Before choosing that one, I would spend about $100 more and get the PNSD0060DO2260 which has the dual speed pump. The SD60 filter is just a little bit small for your pool, but it likely would only mean backwashing more often then the recommendation I made above.

karenkolby said:
However, as I type this I'm not sure a "combo" is the best course anyway b/c if one breaks (filter or pump) how easy is replacing just the one?
Very easy to replace the pump or filter individually.

karenkolby said:
The Intex pump has the advantage of a long cord that can plug into my outlet on the side of the house (but the outlet is already a GFI outlet).
This is a bit of a gray area and involves NEC codes, if the pool is considered by your municipality as a storable pool, then I think you can have a long cord attached. But if your municipality does not consider it storable (which they may not since it is deeper than 42"), then the pump electrical cord can be no longer than 3 ft long and the pumps outlet must be located no closer than 6 ft from the pool. If the pump outlet is 6-10 ft from the pool, the plug must also be a locking type connector.

karenkolby said:
Will anything other than the Intex require wiring back to my panel box (b/c of increased amp / voltage needs) or can these other pumps / filters be plugged into the same outside outlet on a drop cord? I saw some of the pumps says 115v so I'm thinking it can't be plugged into the regular outlet
115V will work fine in a normal outlet, what matters is the current draw. The pump mentioned above may work in a typical 15 amp outlet, but a 20 amp outlet would typically be required.

Thanks for all the information ... I do greatly appreciate it!!

I understand all you say re the electrical and the inspections, etc. My municipality says because it's a storable pool therefore I don't need permits. I personally think they really don't understand. My electrical questions were more about safety, etc.

So knowing about the 20 amp outlet, etc I guess I'm going to take my chances on the Intex combo and keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully it will at least get us thru this season and come next year, we won't have just had the expense of the pool + installation and I can look at upgrading at that point if needed.

How often would you guess (just a rough estimate) that I'll need to backwash with the Intex 16" filter combo?

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.