Installing thru-wall skimmer in Intex - Confused!!

Jun 16, 2013
Can someone please tell me which port to use for inlet/outlet once I have installed the through wall skimmer. Before the through wall skimmer, the outlet (from pool to pump) was the hole that is lowest in the water, and the inlet (from the pump&filter to the pool) was the highest of the holes in the pool. My husband and I have been arguiing because he feels the outlet should be the highest hole and the inlet should be the lowest hole. He wants to cut the highest hole out more to use the through wall skimmer and keep the remaining hole as the inlet after the installation. I feel there is a reason the water was suppose to come back into the pool at the highest level and considering the water is super easy to keep clean the way it has always been, I see no reason to reroute the water flow. Why can't we just plug the factory cut outlet hole and install the skimmer above it and keep the water going back into the pool the way it was. Has anyone had any problems moving the return water to come into the pool at a lower spot?

16x48 ultra frame intex, 1hp pump with huge sandfilter lol

correct placement and use of inlet/outlet valves on intex po

So I have decided to install a through wall skimmer to my intex 48x16 ft pool. The hubby and I are in a heated battle of the will right now over inlet/outlet. As you know currently on an intex pool you have a lower in the water outlet (carries water to the pump/filter) and then there is a higher inlet (water comes into the pool from the pump/filter). My husband wants to use the current inlet as the hole to install the through wall skimmer and cut the hole bigger then use the current outlet hole as the new inlet hole once the installation is done. This may be fine and have no bearing on how hard it will be to keep the water clean. However since I am the once cleaning it every year and have done an amazing job of it I see no reason to screw with where the water goes back into the pool at and if later I want to use that existing hole for something else I can. I feel there is a reason the water was returning into the pool at the highest water level so why mess with it. So the question is simply does it matter where on the pool the inlet or outlet ports are installed? Will it make a difference if the water is returning into the pool further under the water level and not close to the top like it has always been?

I feel like there might be some confusion based on your description. I always thought the line that sucks water into the pump is the inlet/intake and the line returning the water to the pool was referred to as the outlet/return.
My pool is very similar to an intex but mine came with a through wall skimmer already I just enlarged the hole for the hayward skimmer. I posted pics of mine earlier in the thread. The top of the skimmer box is almost at the horizontal seam where the metal frame goes around the top of the pool. I would put the skimmer in the higher location myself but you don't have to choose either of your current locations, you could always put the skimmer in a new spot & use both the current round holes as returns. There are many on here that have added a 2nd return on their pools. With the pool full the water should be roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the opening of the skimmer I believe. I would base the location you choose on that.

vondoom88 said:
I feel like there might be some confusion based on your description. I always thought the line that sucks water into the pump is the inlet/intake and the line returning the water to the pool was referred to as the outlet/return.
You have that backwards. The suction line is the outlet because water is going OUT of the pool and the return line is the inlet because water is going back IN to the pool.

schertzy82 said:
vondoom88 said:
You have that backwards. The suction line is the outlet because water is going OUT of the pool and the return line is the inlet because water is going back IN to the pool.

Huh, that's weird so in pools, the pool is considered the source of motion even though its actually inanimate. I always thought in terms of the pump motor since it's what actually moves the water.

Oops, sorry tsterling. We got off topic there. My fault. If you're putting in a thru the wall skimmer, then I would say put the return at the top and point it sideways, away from the skimmer to create a vortex around the whole pool that will help move debris into the skimmer. But the middle could work too, just point it up slightly. You could also use both the original outlet and the skimmer together by plumbing them to a 3-way valve. That is, if you're willing to do the extra work. I'm guessing that your husband wanted it the other way around to avoid having to plug the original hole, which could be another potential spot for a leak, though not likely if you do it properly. I think the easiest way to plug it would be to put the plunger valve on it like normal, but just keep it closed. Yet another option would be to use the original outlet hole as a second return by leaving both holes intact and putting the skimmer somewhere else. Again, I'm sorry I lead your thread off topic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.