Premature LED failure

Ke

Sep 29, 2007
Toronto
I have the Poolstar 1000 LED system, one of the lights just burned out, this is a new installation and the lights are hardly used, this is far from the so claimed 100,000 hrs lifespan. I hope I just got a bad bulb. Did anyone have any experience with LED premature failure? It's a hassle to replace the light, I spent 3 hours to lower the water. Poolstar is made by O'Ryan Industries in Washington state. Has anyone used their products?
Is it possible to use a different make of light, is the size of the niche standard. Mine has an internal diameter of 2 inches.
Thanks.

Ke,

Sorry to hear about the failure of your Poolstar 1000 LED pool light.

It's a hassle to replace the light, I spent 3 hours to lower the water.

I was going to say that pool draining is not necessary in order to replace pool light bulbs, but then I took a gander at the PoolStar 2500 instruction manual (link for the PoolStar 1000 was broken on the O'Ryan website). The PoolStar 2500 manual does indeed say to lower the level of the pool below the light niche. :shock: :shock:

This "feature" would be enough for me to NEVER use this type of light. I"m not sure about the size of the niche and whether you could use a different type of light. From a quick perusal of the PoolStar 2500 manual, my initial impression is that this niche is not standard. In fact, the manual states that the niche is a "dry niche", whatever that means.

Good luck.

Titanium

Dry niche means it has to stay dry. To replace the light, you have to lower the water pass the light, unscrew the lens to get to the light. Once you've lowered the water, the rest is quite simple. Luckily the lights are about 12 inches below the waterline, otherwise it would have taken even longer to lower the water. Poolstar 1000 is a smaller version of the Poolstar 2500, the design is similar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.