What is this stuff???

Jun 16, 2013
Hey guys,

So I recently bought a house with a pool. First time ever owning one. So there is some really gritty stuff on the bottom of it that is next to impossible to get off. It is almost like concrete! So does anyone know what this is, and how to remove it???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 107
Looks to me to be calcium scaling. Vinyl liner? there's another thread here with a similar problem. It can be removed, but can be a royal pain to do so.

When we were given our pool, the liner looked almost like that. It was caused by being "pool stored". "Raise the CH." he said, so she did. "Cloudy pool!" she said. "Here, buy this," he said, "It'll take care of the cloudy". You know the drill....chemical soup that was unfit to swim in.

The first step to solving your pool problems is to identify what is going on with your water, to do this effectively you need a good quality test kit (see my signature), then you need to know how what your pool needs and how to adjust it, to get you started in this there is the pool school link in the upper right of this page.

I've got the basics down pretty well. All levels were great last season through May, then the pump broke so it just sat dormant until last week. I completely drained it and cleaned out all the algae and crud only to find this scaling. If it helps, the pool is still empty. It would be nice to just be able to get a "Magic Spray" to put on there then wipe it off.

snowboy001 said:
Yes, it is a vinyl liner. I tried using vinegar to loosen it up, and it helped a little. It's an 18' pool and I've spent about 3 hours scrubbing so far. Barely made a dent...
I take it the pool is empty? Well, what's done is done.

Anyway, vinegar's not really a very strong acid. Buy some Muriatic acid and dilute it about 1:3 and see what that does to the white stuff. If it starts fizzing and bubbling, it's Calcium. And the stronger acid should dissolve it. Be careful, the stuff will eat holes in your clothes and cause chemical burns, so you won't be getting in and scrubbing. Look up "acid wash" using the google search waaaaay down at the lower left.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.