new pool install. . . leaning

miswim

Jun 16, 2013
we had our new 18x33 pool installed a week ago. the supports on the side are leaning out at top appx 3 inches on one side and 2 on other side. installer is saying it is normal and ok, but have read that they should be level. in need of advice.
thank you

im a newbie, but what little i do know is this.... it has to be level. if its leaning, its not. bad install. id call that guy, burn his phone up every day until he comes out, drains it, and re installs it right.

its near impossible to get it perfect, but it should not be leaning. mine is about 1 inch lower north to south. east to west is perfect. probably due to ground packing when filled b/c i spent the last week getting the site PERFECT. but pool still looks great, no leaning and unless you put a level on it like i did, you wont notice the difference.

im thinking yours is off my 3-4 or more inches. thats not good.

thanks for the reply. that's what I was afraid to hear, was really hoping it was normal :( . the 2 & 3 inches were from yesterday, and today is measuring 3 &4 inches off. guessing the ground is settling more. the installer said he is going to contact the manufacturer and see what is acceptable, but that much of a lean is not acceptable to us. We hired a professional to install because we did not want the stress and headache, but it looks like we are going to have it anyways :cry:

I hope you didn't pay the guy, and if he tells you the manufacturer says it's ok he's a liar.
You need to tell him that he screwed up and that if he dosn't fix it your hauling his butt before a judge, the pool is not safe, period.

Just out of curiosity, since the walls are leaning did you check the levelness of the pool?
Is one side substantially higher or lower than the other? IF so you've got significant problems.

not trying to upset you but clearly your pool has settled significantly and that thing has over 150,000 lbs of water sitting it, if that thing fails you've got problems.
Don't let the guy leave it as is, and if he does - sue!!

miswim said:
thanks for the reply. that's what I was afraid to hear, was really hoping it was normal :( . the 2 & 3 inches were from yesterday, and today is measuring 3 &4 inches off. guessing the ground is settling more. the installer said he is going to contact the manufacturer and see what is acceptable, but that much of a lean is not acceptable to us. We hired a professional to install because we did not want the stress and headache, but it looks like we are going to have it anyways :cry:

since you say it is off more today then yesterday, then id say its definately from settling. did he put sand under it? if so, how thick and did he pack (tamp) it down? he may have had the site level, but if he didnt tamp loose dirt or sand, then the ground isnt stable. as someone else already said, you have 150000 lbs of weight there. ground has to be able to support it.

also, i helped my father in law a few years back with his 26 x 52 intex ultra install. we leveled, put 4-5 inches of sand, leveled again, rented a compactor, and packed it tight. his has settled in places and is 2+ inches off level in spots and looks like Crud.

lesson learned, no more than 2 inches of sand if any sand at all. sand just doesnt compact well and will settle if too thick. i used no sand on mine and i cut away the topsoil during leveling process, so i didnt have to pack / tamp it.

EDIT-- one other thing, i dont know what pool you have, but if its an intex for sure, the feet on the legs will sink in the ground, even if its over time. the footprint is just too small for the weight. i bought 8 x10 x 2 inch patio blocks at walmart for a buck a piece (18 of them). my pools legs are on those blocks to prevent that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.