Pressure Or Suction Pool Cleaner?

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
My father's day gift is a pool cleaner, but my wife was unsure what to get, so I get to choose. I read through the pool school. My budget won't allow a robotic cleaner. I see this cleaner on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Polaris-Vac-Sweep ... re+cleaner

It is about 60 bucks more than the suction-type cleaners. Does it clean significantly better or faster than the suction type cleaner? I realize the advantage of it being you don't have to backwash the filter.

leaves mostly. the occasional bug but mostly leaves, especially after a storm. I don't expect this to pick up whole branches, I would use a leave rake/net to get out the big stuff after a storm. I also get the Crud from the oak trees - stringy seed pod type things.

we have a Polaris 65. It took me about an hour to get the hoses measured, re-measured, cut and attached. The only issue I've had is that it will circle to the right and curl up tight ( pressure to low) or it may flip over (pressure to high) . Once you find the sweet spot with via adjusting the pressure relief valve it works great! Note that the pool store I bought the pool from and a neighbor haven't had to adjust their pressure relief valve but they're using a smaller pump.

These are some of the most often asked questions/ answers I've found on the Internet since I bought ours:
Q:  Why doesn’t my Polaris clean the entire pool?
A:  First, check the pressure relief value to make sure it is releasing excess water, if not, clean your pool filter.  Second, is your filter screen in the quick disconnect clean?  If not, carefully rinse free of any debris. Another item to check is the float hose length; it should be 4 feet short of the farthest point of the pool (excluding the length of the surface module with filter turned off), as the hose does expand under pressure.  Finally, verify that your cleaner’s surface module is moving both forward and backwards.

** I need to shorten ours by about 4' **

Q:  Why does the surface module dive under the water or lean to one side?
A:  Check for water in the surface module by removing it from the pool and shaking.  If there is water in the body bottom assembly, you can drain the water by unscrewing the white drain plug located under the cover near the nose of the surface module.  You may need to replace the body bottom (part #6-305-00 gray) if the problem continues.  If there isn’t any water in the body bottom and the problem persists, then your cleaner could be moving too fast.  Your Polaris 65’s filter bag should spend 80% of the time on the pool bottom, and the surface module should move evenly on top of the water.  To slow the cleaner down unscrew the pressure relief valve until the surface module levels off.  Finally, make sure that when you connect the hose to the back of the surface module, you turn only the connector so you will not introduce any twists into the hose.
Q:  Why does my float hose remain coiled?
A:  Since the hose is coiled in the box, it may retain that shape or memory.  To remove the memory (coils), lay your float hose out straight in the sun on the deck.  Also, confirm that the hose floats still float.
  Q:  Why does my surface module move too fast?
A: Your Polaris 65’s filter bag should spend 80% of the time on the pool bottom, and the surface module should move evenly on top of the water.  To slow the cleaner down unscrew the pressure relief value so it will release excess water, check the surface module again to make sure it has slowed down.  Be careful not to relieve too much pressure so that your surface module moves too slowly.  If that happens you will need to tighten the pressure relief valve slightly at the wall.  How little or how much water is relieved at the wall fitting directly affects the movement of your surface module.
Q:  Why doesn’t the bag stay on the pool floor?
A: Verify that your surface module is not moving too fast.  If it is unscrew the pressure relief valve until it slows down.  Check your filter bag, it may have air in it.  Another cause for making your bag to float above the bottom of your pool floor is if air is present in the plumbing line. If air is in the line, you will see air bubbles around the jet body assembly.  In this situation we recommend you contact your pool professional.

My father's day present came today - the Polaris 65. I am reading through the instructions. I will get it hooked in tonight for a test run. Am I correct in assuming each time I want to use it I need to take the eyeball off the return and hook it in? How is the pressure adjusted? Just turn the knob on top? The instructions say adjust pressure, but don't say how to do it.

I let mine run every day for 8 hours, the time I run the filter every day. I took the eyeball off and won't use it again until this fall.

The pressure relief valve may or may not need to be adjusted depending on the pressure your pump puts out. I had to open mine about halfway to keep the basket on the bottom of the pool and to keep it from flipping over... looking at getting a hose weight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.