Not-so-great Polaris customer service

Jun 30, 2007
North Florida
Yesterday I called the toll-free number to Polaris, hoping to get some insight on my 280's problems. The owner's manual clearly indicates that one can call them for troubleshooting assistance and even gives you a worksheet of information to have at hand when you call...serial number, the RPMs it's doing, info on the jets, the cleanliness of the inline or Quick disconnect filter, etc. All these items, I diligently checked out.

After maneuvering through several phone trees and then being placed on hold for 15 minutes (I actually completed another project while waiting), I was finally connected to a customer service rep.

I started by asking for some direction as to what type of a problem this sounded like. Without ever hearing what the problem was or asking for any of the info on the troubleshooting worksheet, the rep simply said they couldn't troubleshoot over the phone...my unit should go into an authorized dealer for repair. Excuse me???? She stated she couldn't give me any insight because what if I followed her advice and then found out I needed something else or what if I ended up not needing the recommended item at all.

When I mentioned that it was a 280 (remember...she never asked for any info), she said something like, "Oh-h-h-h, especially with that one, you should take it to a dealer because it's all gear-driven."

So what is customer service for??? Why put a troubleshooting worksheet in the owner's manual, stating that one should have all that info before placing a call to Customer Service, if Customer Service can't troubleshoot?

Well, I said I'd take it from there. But I was thinking, "Thanks for nothing." :x

So, we did a little more investigation on our own and discovered that the wheel teeth had worn away in one area on one of the wheels. We've swapped out the wheel positions and it now works like a charm. It seems like this would be a relatively common issue so the service rep should have been able to point me in the right direction - IF she hadn't put up the "No Troubleshooting" wall right away. Had she told me it might be the gears on the wheels and to look under the rubber guards to check for wear or broken teeth, I would've thought Polaris people were the best! Instead... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Starsky said:
I was thinking that those manuals were probably printed in 1970....

You're probably right. The schematic doesn't actually match my cleaner. My filter's not inside the Quick Disconnect portion as shown in the manual - it's an inline filter (different size too) further down the line toward the cleaner. I guess that was a change at some point that never made it into the manual.

dawndenise said:
Starsky said:
The schematic doesn't actually match my cleaner. My filter's not inside the Quick Disconnect portion as shown in the manual - it's an inline filter (different size too) further down the line toward the cleaner. I guess that was a change at some point that never made it into the manual.
That is the back up valve, not the filter. They have updated the manual but if you have an internal back up valve you have an older unit. They sell a conversion kit to change to an inline valve since they no longer make the internal parts, btw.

waterbear,
I have seen newer Polaris (Polaris's, Polarises, Polarii?) with a screen that was not in the UWF, it was about a foot from the UWF, in a clear plastic tube and the screen was larger than normal. I want to say it was a 380, but I may have been looking at my first 480 and not realized it.

Merc80...That's exactly where my filter is located and my unit's a 280. I probably misled waterbear by saying it was "further down the line toward the cleaner." It is further down the line from the UWF, but not as much as he was thinking. You've described its location much better. :goodjob:

I had a good experience with Polaris. My new 280 was missing the blue restricter cap and a swivel in the box. Must be a quality control issue.Thats not good. Anyway, I sent them an e-mail from their website and within a few days they sent me the parts free. No questions asked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.