0 Alkalinity

chessie6

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2010
East Hartford, Connecticut
Hi, I'm helping some friends balance their ig pool after opening for the first time - it came with the home they bought late last fall and of course they opened to a nice bright green lime jello water. Their PH is extremely low (the test results in the vial are yellow, not even orange :? ). Then in testing the alkalinity, the water sample doesn't even turn green when adding #8 - it turns pink. They've been gradually adding borax and even after adding an entire box the test results for the PH haven't changed.

My question is this: should we start adjusting the alkalinity first with baking soda or should we continue adding borax and then adjust the alkalinity?

Further info - the pool guy had added 5 gallons of liquid shock which did basically nothing. Yesterday we drained and replaced about 1/2 the water to bring down the cya from 120 to 60, added 4 gallons of 12.5% and today the pool is a lovely blue and we can even see the bottom drains in the 8' deep end! TFP rocks and they are so grateful I've introduced them to you!! :party:

Thank you so much for your help,
Jan

I thought too that getting some TA would make sense .. tomorrow morning we'll find out if the chlorine is holding overnight yet or not, bringing us closer to the goal of a 7 ppm FC maintenance reading. I do want to be careful not to raise the TA too high or else if their pool is like mine, they'll have to keep adding PH- every week or so when the bleach brings it up. My PH stays balanced more easily when the TA is lower. So we'll continue adding borax . . Thanks much!

You'll need baking soda as well since the washing soda won't get the TA all the way up. The minimum amount you'll likely need if the pH is 4.5 and not actually lower (the TA test turns red at pH 4.5) will be 3-1/2 cups of washing soda per 10,000 gallons and 13-18 cups of baking soda if all the carbonates were driven out of the pool. If only half the carbonates got removed (via outgassing), then you'd need around 17 cups of washing soda and no baking soda. Your pool will likely be somewhere in between these, probably closer to the former than the latter. So just carefully add the washing soda and monitor the pH and stop when you get the pH into the low 7's (7.0 to 7.2 or so). If you overshoot, don't worry since you can touch that up later. After your pH is up even if it got too high, you can adjust your TA and finish touching up the pH at the end if needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll send him the info - thank you. We are having issues figuring out the gallonage since the pool is a freeform lagoon style - it has an approx 3 1/2 foot shallow section and then a slope to an 8 feet deep end. I know you have info here on calculating it - just haven't gotten there yet and I'm recommending approximate dosages/testing/adjusting for now. I go by my pool dosages of 24,000 gallons and in figuring their pool has less . . and recommend accordingly. This morning's results are that they lost only 1 ppm chlorine overnight!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.