Need Advice on pump pressure piping, Thanks!

Jun 15, 2013
Hello, looking for some advice on pool pump plumbing project. Here is project: need to replaced pump and restore a disconnected pool sweep. Currently an old underperforming 2HP pump is going directly into a Hayward C3025 filter via 1.5” piping. We have already purchased a Polaris 360 F1 Automatic Pressure Pool Cleaner. There is a disconnected 1.5”dedicated line to a pool connection for old long gone pool sweep. I will reconnect this when I install new pump. Because there is only 1.5” piping I was going to buy and install a Hayward Super pump of only 1.5HP it is only 83gpm. If I normally run both sweep and filter I don’t think I will get enough flow through filter. So I am leaning towards a SP2615X20 (approx 122 gpm). It will have 2” ports that I can deal with. Any advice?

Second question, is I will come up from pump’s discharge through a new union with 2” piping then either (a) “Tee” it with 1.5” branch to filter and 2nd 1.5" branch to sweep. I would put a valve in sweep line to control flow to sweep. (b) Is come up from pump right into a diverter valve, with 1.5” going to filter and 1.5” line going to sweep. I am looking for most efficient flow plumbing. Any advice? (c) Come up from pump use 2" long sweep elbow, then install diverter?

Thanks- I appreciate any advice to help me make right choices, to do it right first time.

We really need to know a lot more about your pool to give good advice, (are you talking about replacing or augmenting your current pump) the Super Pump is an energy hog, so unless electric rates are dirt cheap you may want to consider something else, perhaps the new variable speed Super Pump?

Inground 30,000 gallon pool with Spa. Built 30 yrs ago, replastered 2 years ago. Replacing a 10 year old pump. Thinking of Super pump because it is very highly rated, will work with current control/power system, and is economical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.