Really dumb questions.... Good thing Internet is anonymous

Bobbie

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2013
Just moved to a house with a pool..... New liner, everything's going great. I have some very general maintenance questions that I simply don't want to ask the person that installed it as ill spend weeks picking up more cigarette butts and hours talking and my questions still unanswered.

I ordered the water kit test, recommended here thank you very much. Water is clear, everything's great.

My goofy questions are:

1. Do you turn the pump off to move it to other settings?
2. Backwash.... I know this is a weekly thing in the beginning, and you let it go until the water in the .... Visible part.... is clear, then do you rinse? If so how long? Is the pump on for back washing or is it a gravity fed thing? (Yeah sorry if its a dumb question, but I don't know and don't want to screw anything up).
3. I don't see a pressure gauge on my pump, are they pretty simple to install? I know I need one.
4. Do I need to turn any valve before cleaning out the filter housing on the pump? In this case I know to actually cut the power first:)
5. Why do all the little frogs I'm killing by accident have all their little legs sticking straight out? (Just kidding on this one... I did order some stairs for the little guys to save themselves though)
6. Is it possible to get wrinkles out of liners?
7. Is there any benefit in getting the second pump, the one that goes to an automatic vacuum, working? So far I'm ok with manual vacuuming early before the sun gets to me. Does it get more difficult than this or is it just the neverending concept that lead people towards automation?

I did read through all of the pool school articles but I'm still a few days from starting with the chemical side while waiting on my kit. Thanks for all of the advice there, I really appreciate the advice by the experts:)

Re: Really dumb questions.... Good thing Internet is anonymo

Welcome to TFP!

1. Always shut it off before moving the valve.

2. Backwashing relies on the pump. Backwash when you see a pressure rise of more than a couple of PSI above the normal pressure. Rinsing takes about 30 seconds.

3. The pressure gauge goes on the filter. Should be a threaded hole near the top.

4. You can close the inlet valves from the skimmer and drain to make easier to re-prime, but you don't have to.

6. Yes, but it really depends on the cause. You can sometimes use a plunger to drag the liner, but you can destroy the liner trying that.

7. It's a personal preference. Some folks have more time than others.

If you tell us more about your pool, filter type, etc we can give you better information, also include this in your signature like we have it in ours, this makes for an easy quick glance, also add your location to your profile, this helps us know what sort of climate you are in.

Ike

Thank you!!!!! You answered everything simply John. I didn't realize the gauge went on the filter, I have somewhere else to look for a hole, or if for some reason one doesn't exist I have a handy tap and die kit and now know where it goes.
Isaac any future questions ill definitely have all the info at hand by then. On another note. Does your cute dog in your pic scratch your liner at all? I got my pooch a kiddie pool right next to the people pool because I'm afraid her nails will tear it.

Do not tap a hole into the filter for a gauge if there is not one already. That could ruin the structural integrity and you do not want the filter to explode open.

When he was first learning to swim he would try to get out on the sides of the pool, but once he learned where the steps were, and that he could stand up with his head above water (barely) in the shallow end he has been fine.

I have a 3/4 hp Hayward super pump and am digging through their literature trying to figure out where a pressure gauge would go but having no luck yet.....anyone know a quick answer?

Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks anyways. Learning the correct terminology of every part would help me tremendously. When you said gauge goes on the filter I assumed the pump filter, not the pool filter. Got it now:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.