Getting chemicals right....

Jun 15, 2013
Okay....I will have to order the "real" test kit next week, but for now I got the dip.scan.swim test and iphone app by AquaChem. Just had liner replaced so this is brand new water!! I have a 30 foot round above ground swimming pool with a sand filter. When the pool was filled up, i backwashed the filter for a while and then put in approximately 6 gallons of 33% chlorine bleach and let the filter run. Went back out just now and used the test strip and the app. I realize the app is going to tell me what I need from AQUA CHEM, but it also tells me the numbers for things. I am located in Mississippi so its hot and its gonna' stay hot!!!

ph 8.2
alk 60
free cl 10
hrd 50
cya 40

So now what? I had the hardest time last year regulating this thing. I would rather do BBB, if possible.

Thanks for ANY HELP,
Lisa Smith

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I am afraid we won't be too much help..

1. Your testing method is completely unreliable so it is impossible to suggest what to do when we don't have a realistic idea of your current chemistry.

2. What made you decide on 6 gallons of chlorine?

3. Recheck that chlorine percentage....it is not 33

You can certainly do BBB, but you will need to do some homework. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School for starters and that should prompt several questions from you. We'll all help.

The chlorine stated 33% on the front of the bottle....(it was a concentrated bleach). I was reading on this site somewhere (so overwhelmed) that you use .5 gallons of bleach per 10,000 gallons of water. That would about 5.5 gallons....I rounded up! That is where I decided on 6.

L

Congratulations on owning the worlds' first 110,000 gallon 30 ft. round above ground pool! (based on you logic of chlorine addition). Your pool is one heck of a lot closer to 21,000 gallons. See the pool calculator in pool school to better able to determine how much of what to add for what result after browsing through the whole pool school.

No need to be a smart Rear.....I mean I have read more and more and more today than I could ever digest. I should have realized when asking for help that you were far to KNOWLEDGABLE to assist those of us who struggling with a pool and its chemicals!

......... :rant: :rant: :rant:

My personal apology to you if I came across that way. I assure you it was said in jest only to make a point. I do believe I gave you a much better representation of your actual pool volume and directed you to the pool calculator in order to avoid subsequent erroneous pool chemical additions. Welcome to the forum. And once again, I apologize for any misunderstandings.

lisa_smith said:
The chlorine stated 33% on the front of the bottle....(it was a concentrated bleach). I was reading on this site somewhere (so overwhelmed) that you use .5 gallons of bleach per 10,000 gallons of water. That would about 5.5 gallons....I rounded up! That is where I decided on 6.

L
It is easy to get lost! Each pool it's different and without good reliable repeatable test results it is hard to advise what to do.

The best thing to do right now is to read pool school. I'm certain that this will lead to questions but it is a great starting place.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.