Algae Fighting

Sep 10, 2011
Yaphank, NY
Hello I've been reading the boards for a few years and have learned a lot. My pool is trouble free and looking great this summer thanks to everyone here.

Now I'm working on helping a friend who's pool is currently a green swamp. I tested with my taylor kit which reads
FC- 0
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.4
TA - 80
CH - 50
CYA - 0 (or at least too low to measure)
27, 000gal in ground vinyl liner no swg DE filter

First I backwashed the filter and added DE then I added 30ppm of dry CYA using the sock method and after several hrs when it turned to a soft sludge I slowly poured it into the skimmer. The pump is running continuously. I'm not too familiar with DE filters since I have a cartridge, but I then realized I can't shock or backwash now until all the CYA is dissolved. The filter is almost to the point where it needs to be backwashed again. So my question is, is 72 hrs long enough before I can backwash again and start shocking or do I have to wait a full week? I would like to start asap. Also I'm estimating that there will be between 30 & 40ppm of CYA now so I'm going to use a shock level of 14ppm or should I wait a full week retest CYA and then backwash and start shocking? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks!

Richard320 said:
Your punishment for not following directions about how to add the CYA is:

You must read the forums and warn any newbies not to make the same mistake! :whip:

And we want to see pictures! I bookmark good green swamp threads to use as inspiration for others.

I figured as long as the CYA is soft enough to put through the skimmer w/o clogging anything then there is no harm in that. I squeezed it out of the sock very slowly after hours of soaking. Either way I figured I couldn't backwash or start shocking for at least 3 days. I used the liquid CYA in my own pool last year, that stuff is so much easier, too bad it's so expensive.

Anyway thanks again and I will post pics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.