Why does Intex use the copper?

Jun 6, 2013
SoCal
I'm new and I just don't understand all of this yet. (I've read in a couple threads about the copper debate and older units not having the copper)
Why does Intex use the copper?
What do users here find that the copper does to the water to make it undesirable?
After removing the copper is there some other negative tradeoff that needs to be then addressed?

BTW, I plan on setting up and filling my new Intex w/ SWG tomorrow. I have the all-in-one filter/pump/swg unit.

Re: How to remove copper bars in Intex SWG

Many companies fall into the trap of pushing the use of copper ions as an algaecide. Some of it stems from the misunderstanding in the industry of the role cya plays in maintaining proper FC levels. If proper FC levels are maintained (for a given cya level) then there is no other chemical needed to keep algae from growing. There is no advantage to leaving the bars on the intex connected if you follow the methods taught here at tfp.

Re: How to remove copper bars in Intex SWG

Thanks for the explaination. It's all starting to make more sense a little bit at a time.
From this, it sounds like the manufactures are trying new things to make the chemistry (and pool ownership) easier for possibly lazy or ignorant users.
Is there any proof, study, or speculation that indicates and real danger to having copper in the water? (Other than the aforementioned greening of hair and nails)?

There are really only two direct reasons that I know of to not use copper. One is the greening of hair that you mentioned and the other is staining of pool surfaces. Once a surface is stained with copper, it can be very difficult to remove.

If by "danger" you are referring to safety to humans, I am not aware of any issues in that area for copper in the water. However, sometimes systems that use copper (sometimes also known as metal ion or mineral systems) encourage users to allow for a lower level of FC (free chlorine) in the water. Although a slightly lower level of FC might be possible and still maintain an algae free pool, I am not aware of any data that determines how much lower. Taken even further, sometimes people will not put chlorine in at all (or too little) with metal ion systems and this can result in unsanitary/unsafe pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.