shut off valve

Jul 17, 2012
So I'm sick and tired of losing all that precious water while cleaning the basket out. I want to add a valve in the line between the skimmer and the pump.

Here are the pics of what I have. Can someone tell me what to buy?

2_zps762c50a4.jpg

1_zpsf40d6ad4.jpg

Is it best to put the valve near the skimmer or the pump?

A couple plastic nipples and some cheap plastic valves ought to do it.

I'd get some rubber stoppers to put inside so you don't lose water while you work. Unscrew one of the hose barbs and figure out what pipe thread it is (or take it with you) and go get what you need at the hardware store. A small mom-n-pop will probably be able to set you up with what you need.

OK So I went to Menards and got a valve. They didn't carry a 1 1/2" threaded nipple so the guy sold me a galvanized one. I'm not comfortable using it. Any advice? Is the galvanized ok? Is there some other combination of fittings I can use to connect the valve to the pump?

I found a great place online to get any fitting needed if you can wait a few days for it to arrive: http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/

Neither Home Depot or Lowes had the PVC SCH80 pipe nipples and the 2X1.5 S/T bushing I needed for my skimmer install.

Galvanized steel has been safely used to deliver drinking water for decades, and should be temporarily fine on your pool. The only thing I would wonder about would be if there is any transfer of the metal content into the water. Although, I'm guessing not if you can drink water delivered from it.

It can and will eventually rust though.

Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.