Covering AG Pool

Jun 17, 2012
Howard City, MI
We have a small 18' x 48" ag vinyl pool. Should we be putting the cover on it every night or is it okay to leave it off. It is usually just me trying to put it on every night and becomes very difficult. If it is okay to leave off, I may start doing that.

It's certainly ok to leave it off. What kind of cover are we talking about exactly? Winter cover/mesh cover/solar cover? Most who have pools covered in summer except for swim times are trying to cut down down on water and FC loss, and to a lesser degree in summer temps----heat loss depending on location.

I'm in Michigan too and heat loss is a big issue. I hate trying to manhandle the cover by myself but I have three children all under 12 who want/need that water as warm as possible. I have four large, round "hooks" fastened to four consecutive legs of my Intex Ultra Frame, and the original Intex cover is fastened to the top rail with cable ties. I pull the cover off onto the hooks, which hold it while the pool is occupied, and that makes it a bit easier to pull the cover back on.

Someday I'd like a much better solar cover on a reel of some sort. My biggest gripe about the cover is the debris and rain water that collects on top. It's a mess to pull off and often gets filthy water in the pool. Everything is a trade-off it seems

CeeElGee said:
I'm in Michigan too and heat loss is a big issue. I hate trying to manhandle the cover by myself but I have three children all under 12 who want/need that water as warm as possible. I have four large, round "hooks" fastened to four consecutive legs of my Intex Ultra Frame, and the original Intex cover is fastened to the top rail with cable ties. I pull the cover off onto the hooks, which hold it while the pool is occupied, and that makes it a bit easier to pull the cover back on.

Someday I'd like a much better solar cover on a reel of some sort. My biggest gripe about the cover is the debris and rain water that collects on top. It's a mess to pull off and often gets filthy water in the pool. Everything is a trade-off it seems
Tether a big beach ball or something inflatable to an empty bleach jug filled with rocks and water right in the center. That will help the cover shed leaves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.