Installtion of Intex 2650gph sand filter to 15' intex

Installed my new pump/filter with the Intex B adapters for the time being. I wanted to verify that the unit worked properly. I will however be installing the new wall connections just wanted to make sure the new pump wasnt brand new broken as I like to say. Hopefully the larger wall inlet/outlets will cure the problem of the pump losing prime when using the Intex wall skimmer, it seems to lose prime after a little while. but if just using the inlet as a main drain, no problems at all.

I assume that the losing prime problem will be worse when I attempt to use my Intex manual vacuum as it has a even smaller inlet on the screw on adapter for the wall inlet.

I have my outlines traced on the liner for the larger connections which I will do later today and then test the skimmer and vacuum again. if the losing prime still happens then I will prob drill some relief holes in the blue screw on adapter. I know that I will lose some suction to the skimmer and vacuum when doing this but if it allows the pump to keep primed im sure there will still be enough suction at the vaccum and skimmer. If the relief holes dont work then I will be forced to install a thru wall skimmer as well as a different vac set up.

pics are in the photobucket link.... more to come

http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/mrmacdad12/library/intex 15 foot regular frame pool

I went from the 637R (1000 gph) that came with my pool to the 633EG 2500 gph cartridge pump with no problems. I too use the skimmer adapter for vacuuming.

You may have something loose, like those not great adapters that can easily fall off unless you tighten them almost to the point of destruction. Go ahead and change out those small to the large, you WILL see a big difference!

Installed the larger wall fittings. Used a single edged razor blade and two large plastic bowls. Placed the inside pool piece in the bowl with the rubber washer installed. Had my son hold the bowl up against the pool wall while I cut the liner from the outside. Cut on the inside of my mark and pushed the old connection into the pool. Pulled the new fitting into place and installed the nut. Re attached the plunger valve and good to go. I needed the second bowl because I was unable to move the new wall piece into place inside bowl was too small so I used the second bowl on the outside so the inside bowl could be removed to switch the pieces. The second fitting I just used the larger bowl and was able to switch the fittings without a bowl on the outside.

The larger wall connections make slot of difference with the pump prime both with and without screw on skimmer and vacuum attachments.

Added a couple more pics too.

Still getting tiny bubbles in the pre pump filter basket but nothing near what it was with the intex b adapters with the little wall connections. I can hear like a swishing from the inlet plunger. Possible some air leak. these plunger valves have a suction release valve just before the twist valve

All is well now, no bubbles in the Pre-Pump Basket area. I went around to every connection and made sure they were as tight as possible. I didn't however use any lube/vasoline on any of the gaskets or o-rings. Is this something I should disassemble and do?

start up pressure when there was a few little bubbles in the pre-filter basket was 8psi.

looked now when the pre-filter basket was full no bubbles and now its just a hair shy of 10psi.

gonna vacuum it tomorrow bump up the PH tomorrow. its getting low due to a 3" puck disolving in a floater.

and then run a backwash and see if the pressure go's back to 8psi or stays on 10psi.

got prob 5hrs on pump so far

There is a silicon based lube that you should use on all pool equipment o-rings, especially those in the Intex plunger or twist valves. Use also on the strainer basket cover o-ring.

If you can't find it in the pool supplies section, look in the plumbing section at the hardware store. It is the same lube plumbers use on newer sink faucets.

Probably won't need to backwash unless your pressure rises to around 15.

ill venture out and see what I come up with on the lube. should I do the L shaped gaskets at all the hose connections aswell?

ill take the 6 way off the filter tank and check my sand level, I put just almost the full 100lbs in there, was maybe a inch of sand left in the one bag and I didn't spill any when filling, I was afraid I was gonna over fill it. the center pipe in the tank has about a 1.5inch difference from min to max level.

I got the itch now, done cut the liner, got a back up pool on order. same pool I currently have was on rollback at walmart for 199.99 couldnt pass it up.

Any mods I do now are gonna require making PVC adapters. I dont want to hard plumb the whole system because I take the pool down every year so I would like it to be easy to disassemble/reassemble.

I was thinking ditching the twist/plunger valves and doing 90* PVC elbow with a ball valve then a hose barb.

I have these threaded adapters that I got at the pool store, it was two of them for 10 bucks, this is what I run on my waste output so I can hook up a hose. I could run one on the output from filter to pool so im not stuck with the intex hose setup. samething could be used on the inlet sides aswell.
picture is in link.

Attempting to vacuum and pump keeps losing prime.

Im using my intex manual vac with hose and wall attachment.

The wall attachment for the vac is smaller then the skimmer.

I tried the skimmer attachment with the hose suctioned on and no attachment with the hose just sucked in the hole. Both lost pump prime.

Solution.

Drilled relief holes into screw on vacuum hose attachment.

See pics in link above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The problem is the suction relief valve on the twist style plunger. When hooked my hose up the valve would let air in. placing a finger over the hole on top would stop the air and the pump basket would fill. Well I cant hold my finger there and vacuum so I drilled the holes in the screw on attachment. Still get good suction on hose end. I assume I could just get a larger vacuum hose use my skimmer attachment instead of the vacuum one would just need to adapt it to my vacuum head beacause I like the debris bag.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.