Hayward pump question

Apr 27, 2013
Friendswood, Texas
I have the intex 18X48 round easy set. as you know the pump sux... (sorry for the crude language but it does) Found a Hayward online and the company, Doheny's has one the rep says will hook right up to my intex pool. If I order it today it will be here Tuesday. Free delivery $169 dollars sounds too good to be true, but anyway my question is do any of you know if a Hayward Power Flo LX, 1.5 HP will do the trick for this 5500 gal pool and is it compatible with intex fittings? It doesn't look like it will "hook right up" to me from the pictures but what do I know?

Thanks in advance for your EXPERT advice!

Welcome to tfp, TexasGal007 :wave:

First that pump is really large for your pool. It can work but you would want a large filter to go with it. Speaking of filters, what did you get for that (they are separate pieces and often it does not come with the pump)?

Even the smaller one is fairly large for that pool. Many folks on here have had good luck with the Intex 2650 sand filter/pump combo, you may want to consider that one which can be had for about the price you mentioned above for just the pump. Intex sand filters work quite well.

I see this company has the The Intex® Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter is that the same one you mentioned? 12 hour timer with 24 hour repeat cycle. 2,100 GPH flow rate. and this one is on clearance.

SandPro Pool Filter System cleans up to 10 times faster than standard cartridge filter systems. Saves you money through efficient use of electricity with a high flow rate and lower horsepower. Ultra quiet and easy to use. Self-priming pump. INTEX® 2-¼ in. hose adapters and conventional 1-¼ in. and 1-½ in. hose fittings included. 7-position, multi-port valve. Accurate and easy-to-read pressure gauge. Hair and lint strainer basket. Integrated base plate. Requires #20 silica sand (not included). Compatible with alternative sand products such as ZeoSand® #4429. Operates on 110V/60Hz. 1 year limited warranty.

SandPro 20ES – 200W, 20AMP, 27 GPM flow rate for pools up to 8,000 gal, requires 26 lb of sand.
SandPro 50 – 1/2 HP, 41 GPM flow rate for pools up to 16 ft round, requires 38 lb of sand.
SandPro 75 – 3/4 HP, 45 GPM flow rate for pools 18 ft - 24 ft round as well as all rectangles and ovals, requires 75 lb of sand.

your thoughts?

The intex 2650 is 1.4 sq. ft. filtration which is good for your pool. See: http://www.amazon.com/Intex-56671EG-650-Gallon-Sand-Filter/dp/B002V1H11WIt has been as low as $122 I think, but is $156 right now.

We have a few members on here with the sandpros. The design is different both the model 4510 (50) and 4511 (75) are speced at 1.4 sq.ft. filtration area, but one requires 38 lbs of sand and one requires 76 lbs of sand. Because of that oddity, I personally would not buy the sandpros.

Thanks for you help on the pump! I went ahead and purchased the Hayward Power Flo LX 40 GPM. In my little AGP it's a BEAST for sure! :shock: It came with a combo on a base with the Micro Star clear filter. I've been running it 24/7 since Saturday morning. I cleaned the filter this morning it was pretty nasty. I vacuumed, brushed and checked the chems with my new Poolmaster Basic 5 way tester kit. I even took the water to Leslie's to be sure I'm reading the test results correctly and they concur everything is in range, however the pool is STILL a little cloudy.... It seems to be getting better as each day passes, so I'm trying to be patient. I will continue to run the pump, check test the water.

The issue is I have a swimming party for my granddaughter's birthday Saturday. I really want the water to be crystal clear by then. :(

I know you guys say I should have the Taylor test kit. I plan to get one soon, but wasn't an option this week after the pump $$. This is what the test shows right now.
FC: 3.0
TC: 3.0
PH: 7.4
TA: 120
CYA:40

Any ideas on why its still a bit cloudy? I can see the blue squares on the bottom, but it's a little cloudy. Of course the pool store guy is trying to get me to buy a clarifier. I haven't put anything else in it. I will wait to hear back from you.

Thanks again for your help. I read this forum often, but this is the first time I have posted.

B

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.