How Much Chemicals to Stock Up On?

Jun 15, 2013
Hi Guys!

I am closing on a house next week and will be a first time pool owner! I have been reading through your site and am going to give the BBB method a shot. (Going to order a TF100 kit :-D )

Quick question:

How much bleach/borax/baking soda should I stock up on on my first trip to Walmart? The pool is currently open and I *shouldn't* need to shock it too heavy when we move in initially. I've been reading through posts but can't get an exact grasp on how much to have on hand. :?

My pool is above ground oval, roughly 11000 gals (I believe).

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

I would only stock up on bleach for now. You may not need the borax or baking soda, so I would wait until the test kit comes before buying any of those. Start off with about 6 jugs of bleach. You want to store them in a cool, dry place if possible, and away from any metal structures. The out gassing that occurs contributes to rust formation.

Order the TF 100 and check it as soon as you can. There is no such thing as "shocking it too heavy or too lightly." It is a process-------when it is needed it is needed. Looks can be deceiving as well. You may not need ANY borax or baking soda yet. Only testing will tell. Look for a bleach sale though!

Not every pool needs borax or baking soda. I never use either.

The amount of bleach will depend heavily on the current chemistry and water conditions. A gallon of bleach will add a little less than it's sodium hypochlorite percentage to your pool. If you put in a gallon of 8.25% bleach, it will raise your FC by a little leass than 8ppm, so for normal chlorination in good water, that gallon will last about three days.

Closing this week on the house, so hard to say how the water looks :) Per our terms of sale, the pool must be "opened for the summer". But who knows, might have to shock when we move in.

Fingers crossed.

Jeremy

js207005 said:
Closing this week on the house, so hard to say how the water looks :) Per our terms of sale, the pool must be "opened for the summer". But who knows, might have to shock when we move in.

Fingers crossed.

Jeremy
Been there, done that. Your plan is smart.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.