question on when to chlorinate and when to test

May 23, 2013
I am a new converter to BBB and have been loving my taylor K2006 test kit! I have learned more about my pool in 2 weeks of finding this website than the previous 5 years of owning the pool.

I typically run my pump on a timer that runs 10am to 6pm and that's always worked fine for my pool.

water is crystal clear

most recent testing levels
fc 3
cc 0
ph 7.6
alk 100
ch 200
cya 35
temp 68 (brrrrr!) been cold and rainy here in new England.

question 1:
does it matter if I do my daily chlorine and ph testing in the am BEFORE the pump is turned on? ok for the other tests too?

question 2:
does it matter WHEN I add my daily dose of 12% beach? I always want to chlorinate when the pump is running, right?

thanks!

Yes, make your chemical additions with the pump running. You should be circulating for a while before doing your testing-especially for FC. Morning additions will be fine as long as you maintain your minimum FC level BEFORE the sun goes down.

It is best to have the pump running for 30+ minutes before testing the water. It is also essential that you have the pump running during and for 30+ minutes after adding chemicals.

There are some very small advantages to adding chlorine in the early evening. That gets you the most effective time before you start losing chlorine to sunlight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.