If my pool water smells does that mean someone just peed?

march2012

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 21, 2012
TX
My pool water generally has no chlorine smell. When you come out your skin doesnt smell.

I worked late while my wife had people over including some kids. When I got into the water after people had been in the pool for a few hours, I could smell the CC smell. After awhile it went away. Was this smell probably due to kids peeing in the pool?

Re: If my pool water smells does that mean someone just peed

The smell you are referring to are attributed to higher than normal CC's which are created in the process of sanitizing a pool. Someone peeing in the pool will consume FC and lead to CC's as the organics are sanitized. Regardless of whether someone pee'd in the pool, a higher bather load will always increase the chlorine demand. To mitigate the risk of having FC drop below the recommended range due to high bather load, I always increase the FC dose to the high point of the target range prior to and after a pool party. The night after a pool party, I do an Overnight FC Loss Test.

Even though the smell has dissipated, I would test FC and CC.

Re: If my pool water smells does that mean someone just peed

That would be plausible, especially since kids were involved. Ammonia quickly reacts with chlorine, so it's very common to have CC's because of that reaction. If there were a lot of bodies in the pool it could be just from the amount of sweat generated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.