First pool, looking for some direction.

Burbs

Jun 14, 2013
Ok, so the wife talked me into a pool. Bought an Ag pool and the sales man talked me into a simple salt system. Being new to the pool world I listened to everything he told me and took the bait. First off the simple salt system, did I get screwed over? I got my first couple water test done by the pool guy and seems he was making a lot of money off me, so I went to the web and found this website. I got my Taylor k-2006 in yesterday and the first teat results are in.

TA=150
FC= 1.6
CC= 1
Ph= 7.8
CH= 140

I put 3lb of stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer last night. When should I test CYA?
Also added 80oz of 8.25% bleach last night.
Guess I need to know what direction to take from here.

Wait about a week to test CYA once it is gone from the sock. Give the sock a couple of good squeezes a few times a day and it will speed of the dissolving process.

The 1 CC means you need to complete the shock process. (You can read more about shocking your pool here. ) With the 3 lbs of stabilizer your shock level is 11ppm. You need to add enough liquid chlorine to bring the pool to 11ppm and keep it there as often as you can until you pass overnight test Use Pool calculator to help determine how much chlorine to add.

I googled simple salt system and got several responses. Is this what you have? If so do not use it. Adding copper to the water will eventually cause surface stains and turn light colored hair green.

Ill get on the shock tonight.
That is the system I have, if I do decide not to use it what about the salt I have added to the pool? Also the copper range for the system is .3-.5, not sure if that makes a difference in the hair and stain problem.

You didn't mention the results of your CYA test. The chemicals that the "Simple SWCG" Co. are having you add are doing the bulk of the work and likely contain stabilizer. Not to mention it could also have been in the chems used for the pool startup procedure by your builder.

I didn't mention the CYA because I didn't test for it since I just added the stabilizer and wasnt sure how long to wait to test for it. The pool guy's last test for me showed 19ppm.

Burbs said:
I didn't mention the CYA because I didn't test for it since I just added the stabilizer and wasnt sure how long to wait to test for it. The pool guy's last test for me showed 19ppm.

How much did you add? I presume he used a computer based system to test it?
If so, they're hit and miss on accuracy.

Oh, my bad. You did mention 3lb in your 1st post. That'll bring you to about 35ppm CYA, leave it at that, don't forget to squeeze the sock liberally. Wait about a week and test for cya using the test with the cloudy water in the test tube. For now, start the shock process with the assumption of 40 cya on the chart in pool school. Ignore the salt water table, doesn't apply.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.