shock new, freshly filled pool or just use pool calculator?

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
after days of reading on this absolutely great site, i still have a few questions...

when i get my pool set up, (hopefully within a week or so) and i fill it (probably overnight) do i immediately shock it the next day or just test it (have the K-2006 kit on order) and then input results in pool calc and add whatever chemicals calc tells me to? obviously FC and CYA levels will be 0 so i have 8% bleach on standby and will pick up some stabilizer at pool store this next week. also got a box of borax and baking soda.

also, what about algaecide? do i need to add it immedately or wait a day, week, etc.? what is a good brand of algaecide and how often will i need to treat?

finally, this is a vinyl intex pool so from what im reading I should never need calcium chloride? (read somewhere on here i should have to ever add it to vinyl pool

thanks!

Re: shock new, freshly filled pool or just use pool calculat

You've done well by reading so far but, you have a little more to do. You don't need the algaecide.

Since you're fillig with city water, I'd think it's going to have some FC in it. You should test it as soon as you get the kit.

As soon as it's filled, I'd start the pump and test and adjust the pH if it needs it and then add about 3 ppm FC and start getting some CYA in it. From that point you can plug all the numbers into the Pool Calc and use it from then on.

ok. thanks. so, will i ever need to use algaecide at all?

also, assuming i fill, test, get the FC and pH levels good, then we will be set to swim? meaning, I dont have to wait my my CYA for water to be safe, correct?

gtnos said:
ok. thanks. so, will i ever need to use algaecide at all?
I've never put a drop of it in my pool in 3 years and I've never had a green pool.

For that matter, I haven;t got a clue what my Total Dissolved Solids, My Phosphates, or my Nitrates are, either. Never had 'em tested, couldn't care less. And you can toss a quarter in my deep end and call heads or tails from the deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.