Getting Ready to add New SWG

Jun 14, 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
Last year I bid on an SWG at a charity auction and won. I know, seems silly, but I had researched them extensively and knew what I was looking for. No one else was bidding aggressively, so I jumped on it and took it home.

Well, a year later after a complete rework of my home's breaker panel and feed back to the pool equipment, we are ready to install. Part of the package that I bid on included the salt and the startup of the system. I trust the pool contractor that will be doing the work and know the owner's personally. I have a few questions for the group that I will posted under my current test results.

Test results:
FC - 21
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.2
TA - 100
CH - 500
CYA - 80
Borates - not yet
FC is still high from shocking with bleach last week. Overnight drop is zero.

Should I start aerating to reduce TA before they come to do the install? I will ask if they are going to adjust pH and if not, will handle it myself. I think by CH reading is whacked. I have never had one above 190, so I will test again. Do I need to wait for FC to come down below 10 before they install?

Last question, I have some staining that I have not identified as of yet. It looks like dark streaks that extend down the wall almost all around the pool. There are also some spots that looked like black algae, but they are definitely stains. Should I deal with the staining before adding the SWG?

Thanks,

Jason

The TA isn't too high, but I'd do something about that CH if I could. Unless you've used a lot of Cal-Hypo I don't know why it would be that high i where you're located. :scratch:

The pH is quite possibly lower than the reading given that the FC is so high. Wait till it comes down before adjusting it. the FC doesn't need to be down before the install, but you can't do anything with the swg until it is.

I'd wait till you have everything running and balanced before worrying about the staining.

Test your salinity level first, because the use of sodium hypochlorite will add salt to your pool. Depending on which model salt system you have, high salt levels can shut down the salt system and will require draining down some water to get the salt level to the acceptable range. If it's an AutoPilot, there's no problem with too much salt.

There are several mineral stain removal systems that are quick reacting and can clear up metallic stains within a day or two, that are worth using.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.