Review my plan

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
In preparation for filling my new pool, I am trying to document the startup process

First, the numbers for my fill water. No iron or copper in the fill.

alkalinity - 350
calcium - 20
ph - 6.8

After filling these are my targets

FC - 24 (need to add 11 96oz bottles of 6% bleach)
CYA - 60 (I need to add 176oz of stabilizer)
PH - 7.5 (target here due to TA being high) (add 821oz of borax)
CH - not thinking about this yet.
Salt - 3200 (add 600lbs of salt)
Borates - not thinking about this yet.

My questions are

1. Do I wait until the pool is full to start adding chemicals or should I add some as it fills?
2. Do I dose at suggested levels immediately or dose at half, check and dose more as needed?
3. Is there any order at which to dose, ie salt first, then bleach, then stablizer, then borax?

Slow down. You do not want to try to do everything at the same time.

Fill the pool and then test it.

You do not want to raise the FC that high with 0ppm of CYA in the water. Just put 2ppm of FC in the pool and start adding CYA.

Slow down! There's no need to shock with fresh clear water.

If you set it up to fill with the hose splattering the surface rather than submerged, it will be noisy, but it will also aerate and probably raise pH some at zero expense.While you fill!

Get the pump circulating and be sure there's no leakage. Then add 2 ppm chlorine, see if pH needs raising after half an hour or so of circulating. The CYA can get tied up and suspended any time there. You'll be losing a lot of FC initially because of no CYA in the water, so keep close tabs on it. Just keep checking pH and FC and keep them adjusted and raise FC after the CYA is noticeably dissolved.

Borates are entirely optional, some of us never use them.

Get things balanced using bleach, then add salt, then fire off SWG. Check out the highlighted post here, if you have kids.

ssgumby said:
Wow, glad I posted!

I just thought I needed to shock it initially. :)

Why do I target FC = 2? If im using the pool calculator properly, it says 4 and CYA of 60.
Because the CYA doesn't dissolve right away. Your initial reading on CYA will be zero. Therefore, FC has to be lower. Unless you like white bathing suits with rotten elastic.

Were you planning on spending the extra for liquid stabilizer? If that's the case, CYA will be up to 60 within minutes and you can follow the pool calculator from the get-go.

Richard320 said:
ssgumby said:
Wow, glad I posted!

I just thought I needed to shock it initially. :)

Why do I target FC = 2? If im using the pool calculator properly, it says 4 and CYA of 60.
Because the CYA doesn't dissolve right away. Your initial reading on CYA will be zero. Therefore, FC has to be lower. Unless you like white bathing suits with rotten elastic.

Were you planning on spending the extra for liquid stabilizer? If that's the case, CYA will be up to 60 within minutes and you can follow the pool calculator from the get-go.

Yes, ill get liquid stabilizer. Is there a name brand that is best?

I just really want to start off right so im trying hard to plan it out, and I VERY much appreciate this site and the advice!

ok, after looking at liquid stabilizers I think I WONT be using them ha ha. If im using the pool calculator right it is telling me to go from 0 to 60 I would need 4,567 ounces!!! To get that I estimate I would have over $1000 in stabilizer! crazy :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ssgumby said:
ok, after looking at liquid stabilizers I think I WONT be using them ha ha. If im using the pool calculator right it is telling me to go from 0 to 60 I would need 4,567 ounces!!! To get that I estimate I would have over $1000 in stabilizer! crazy :shock:
Better check your math or a typo in the calculator. That's about 10X as much as I would expect.

If you make mistakes like that with all the chemicals, you"ll never ever get the pool balanced.

doh, the volume of my pool is 22,000 ... the pool calculator had an exta 0 ;) So it was calculating 220,000.

No worries, I wont add anything without checking and confirming! Ive run through this many time so far. Hope to start the fill by thursday.

Just up it to 30 to start. Once it's dissolved it's in there working. Often all mine takes a day or so to dissolve. It's best to sneak up on this level anyways, as reading the test at first can be tricky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.