cloudy pool

gabby

Jun 14, 2013
hi everyone! i have a problem with my salt water pool. i have had the under ground pool for six years. this is my 1st major problem.my cl2 generator whet out this winter and replaced it but algie had gotten into the pool. i treated it and the pool cleared and then i had metal stains i removed these with stain and scale put metal magic. and brought my sand filter up a pound diff pressure from 19 to 20. using de. by the way i had just changed my sand. now i have a cloudy pool. i can see the bottom on the shallow end but not the deep. 20000 pool. i tested the water ph 7.2 / ak 125 / cl 1.2 . phos over 100. the pool store sold me some phosflock to remove the phos. does :whoot: anyone think this will help?

Welcome to tfp, gabby :wave:

gabby said:
the pool store sold me some phosflock to remove the phos. does :whoot: anyone think this will help?
No. A properly chlorinated pool can have very high phosphates without a problem. I would save your money and return it.

Did the pool become cloudy immediately after starting up the new filter? Did you thoroughly backwash the filter first before routing the water back to the pool (filter setting)?

By the way, typically there is no need/reason to replace sand in a sand filter.

thanks for the reply.yes i back washed the filter. the problem started after putting the metal magic in. i guess i should have waited for a reply.i put the phosfloc in and the pool has turned milky. will this fall out? thanks :(

I know that most metal sequestering agents will eat up all your Free Chlorine and that could be what is making your pool cloudy. I treated a pool about 3 weeks ago with Jack's Blue Stuff and still can't get it to hold any Free Chlorine. It is clear this week but the Active Chlorine was 0.0 again. The sequestering seems to have really messed things up.

i checked my ph and it had fallen to 6.8 from 7.2. i looked at the directions of the fhosfoc and the ph should be 7.2 - 7.8. i brought the ph back up to 7.4. hoping it will fall to the bottom now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.