Need a little help with getting the chemistry right

May 11, 2013
Littleton, NH
Hey everyone!

So my AGP has been up for about 4 days now, and we've had rain for the past two. I want to get the levels maintainable but I'm already chasing the PH around.

Here's what my levels right after I set the pool up.

PH - 6.8
Hardness - 10ppm
Alkalinity - 10ppm

I added 60oz of 8.25% bleach to shock and bring the chlorine up and also added 30oz of Borax to start bringing the PH up a little at a time. Well after the rain for the past two days here's what my levels are today

Chlorine - 0
PH - 8.2
Alkalinity - 20ppm
Hardness - 10ppm
CYA - 0

So I have 2 questions, the first is, do I need to get the Alkalinity up before trying to get the PH right? I'm sure the aeration from the rain raised my PH as well.

Also, I just bought granulated Stabilizer (CYA) what's the best way to add this to the pool? Was thinking of putting it in an old sock and tying it to the rail near the return.

What are you using to get your test numbers?

Raising TA will help with getting your ph adjusted. Shoot for 60 ppm TA using baking soda. After you get there, then readjust ph appropriately.

Jeepfreak81 said:
Also, I just bought granulated Stabilizer (CYA) what's the best way to add this to the pool? Was thinking of putting it in an old sock and tying it to the rail near the return.
That is my preferred method, make sure it is getting constantly buffeted by the return flow.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get it right in the return stream. Will I need to run my filter 24/7 all week long? I've only been running it about 6 hours a day right now. Also, I'm using the 6-way HTH test kit (I know this isn't ideal) A Taylor kit is in the future but will have to wait a few weeks to save up for it.

Thanks for the reply!

Oh ya, forgot to update my sig. Just got the pool setup this past sunday so haven't really done much yet (plus it's been cool and rainy till today). I'm running the pump that came with the pool, planning to upgrade next year maybe even add an SWG. I believe it's an 1800gph pump I have now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.