The test result is

PH 8.2
FC 0.5
CC <0.5
TC <1
CYA around 20-30
CH around 420
TA around 90

Should I lower the ph value first and then add lot of bleach? The water is still clear now. Do I need to shock ?have not do any shocking before??

Do I need to adjust CYA level also?

How often do I need to add acid usually? I don't like to deal with the acid at all. Just add 2 cups a week ago to get it to 7.8. My nose accidentally get in some fuse. Hope I don't need to put acid quite often.

I am TX. The pool buy (which was dismissed a month ago) told me that my pool has a leak because the water level goes down a little bit too quick. The water bill is about 100 now, which is still affordable. So we may start to check this when we are able to get the water quality stable. Should we hire a company to check and repair the leakage or can we do the check and repair by ourselves?

THX!

Re: Received TF-100. Some questions about chemical and leak

Adjust the pH first, wait 30 minutes and then add the bleach. Pump running of course! :)

It's hard to say how often you need to add acid. It all depends on how fast the pH rises. Probably not too often though.

You can do a bucket test to see how much it's leaking over evaporating. Set a bucket filled with pool water on a step and mark or measure the level in the bucket and the level in the pool and let it sit until the next day and measure the amount they both go down. If the pool loses more water than the bucket you have a leak. The measurement will tell you how bad the leak is.

Yes, lower the pH to around 7.2 first, then add enough chlorine to bring your FC to the top of the recommended range for your pool. You can use Pool calculator to determine your FC range.

There are some tests for leaks you may do yourself. If you have a main drain you can dive down there with some red food coloring and squirt it close to the drain with the pump off and see if it is getting sucked into the drain. You can do the same test anywhere there is an opening in the plaster such as around the return fittings, pool lights, skimmer, as well as checking around loose tiles and any visible cracks in the pool surface.

To see if water loss is due to evaporation you can perform the bucket test. Fill a bucket about 1/2 full of pool water and place it on the top step of the pool. Use a magic marker to mark the water line on the inside and the outside of the bucket. Let the bucket sit for 24 hours and mark the water lines inside and outside again. The distance between the inside sets of lines and the outside sets of lines should be the same if it is just evaporation loss. A greater loss shown on the outside of the bucket indicates a leak. If you have not been able to locate the source of the leak you can hire a leak detection service to find it for you.

Thanks for the great tips. Will do the suggested procedures.

Some more questions: usually acid is added on a weekly base or monthly base?

I have some 3" jumbo tabs left (about 1/3 bucket). Should I use them or should I stick with the BBB method? I see a automatic chlorine feeder around the filter area. I am still studying how to use it.

shinachen said:

Another question from newbie: usually acid is added on a weekly base or monthly base?
You should test pH daily and add muriatic acid each time it hits 7.8. So, when/how often the MA is added is based on your pH rise, not a timed schedule.

Butterfly said:
shinachen said:

Another question from newbie: usually acid is added on a weekly base or monthly base?
You should test pH daily and add muriatic acid each time it hits 7.8. So, when/how often the MA is added is based on your pH rise, not a timed schedule.

get it. ThX!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.