Easiest way to chlorinate 10' Easy Set pool?

Jun 14, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Hello! I bought an Intex Easy Set pool on clearance last summer and just set it up today, but the package didn't come with any chlorine tablets, or even any instructions on how much chlorine to use, just the pool and the pump/hoses.

I'm a single mom on disability, so not looking to spend $60 for the test kit that is necessary for pool perfection, just looking for a rough guideline on how much chlorine to put in and what type! :-D

The pool is listed as a 10' by 30", but apparently the fill line is at 23". I followed the link on the pool size calculator page, but the PDF didn't actually list the number of gallons in any of the Easy Set pools, so I just put 10' diameter and 2' height into the calculator and got a super-rough estimate of 1200 gallons.

Is it worth it to buy real pool shock for such a small pool? Or should I just dump in some regular bleach? Or are the tablets and the dispenser better in some way?

Thanks in advance!!! :cool:

Hi, welcome to TFP! For such a small pool I would just use regular bleach. Put in 1/2 a cup every day. If the water starts to get cloudy you can drain the pool and start over. The pool is so small a bag of powdered chlorine would be way too much, and the CYA it contains would over stabilize the pool before you finished the bag.

You still need to keep an eye on the pH of the water. Walmart carries the HtH 3 way test kit that would measure pH and chlorine for around $7. That would last you all pool season.

Your pool is just over 1000 gallons.

Invest in a good test kit, and get conditioner {CYA} at Lowes.

Adjust your water chemistry using Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda. Read all about it in the BBB Method subforum.

And use your pool often. The pump you have is fairly lame. Daily use actually helps your water stay mixed, and your tests accurate because of that. You can get a 1000gph pump at Lowes that will do a better job.

Zea3's advice is rock solid. Use your regular household bleach at the dosage she suggests (1/2 cup daily) and get the small tester she suggests. Your pool will be sanitary and probably algae free.

The biggest issue you will likely have is trying to keep the pool nice and clean as the kids climb in and out. Just dump the water when it gets bad and start over.

I had a 13x39 easy set Intex pool for the last 5 yrs (finally tossed it last fall). The last two years all we did was use a floater with chorine tablets in it. I kept it full with about 10 tablets and the water was always clear. I didn't test the water's ph or anything. This year we have a bigger pool (14x48 Intex Ultra Frame) so I will probably be testing the water but at this point I am still using just the floater with the chlorine tablets.

duraleigh said:
I didn't test the water's ph or anything.
Well, I don't think I would go that far. Keeping your pH in the 7's is a good idea in even the smallest pool. I'm glad it worked for you but I suspect your pH may have been pretty low using just the tabs.

I can't disagree with you :) . I am headed to Walmart later to get a thermometer for the pool so I will get the ph testing kit too. It was just so easy to ignore the pool water chemistry since the pool never clouded up or got slimey or green! It sits in the shade, maybe that helped.

Thanks so much for all the help!! :)

I don't have a car, so Walmart isn't really an option. Would it be OK to get the Jed Pool 2-way kit from Amazon? (I apparently wouldn't even be using the third "way" anyway, right?)

Pool is *still* filling, since I obviously didn't want to leave the hose running overnight. I'll get half a cup of bleach in there as soon as it is full. SO excited to see my daughter's face when she realizes there is a pool right in our backyard!! (My best friend and I set it up during nap yesterday.)

Reactions: Mchristian4626
OK, I will search for that one during naptime. Meanwhile, the pool is *finally* full! Going to sneak out back to add the bleach. Do I just dump it in and turn the filter on to circulate it? Can I put the solar cover on right away, or does the bleach need to mix in first? How long do I run the filter?

Thanks so much!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
anonads said:
OK, I will search for that one during naptime. Meanwhile, the pool is *finally* full! Going to sneak out back to add the bleach. Do I just dump it in and turn the filter on to circulate it? Can I put the solar cover on right away, or does the bleach need to mix in first? How long do I run the filter?

Thanks so much!!
Turn on the filter and then pour the bleach into the return stream so it disperses fast. Leave it run at least half an hour to be sure it gets well mixed. Cover whenever you want.

Not good numbers.

Use PoolMath after setting it up with your number of gallons, chlorine source, and goal levels. Then plug your test numbers into the "Now" column, and click the "Calculate" button.

The calculator will give you the doses needed. Read up on the BBB method on this site, it is the way to go!

Have you tried using PoolMath yet? Plug in current test results in the now column. It will tell you what the levels should be and you can enter those numbers in the target column. Then it will tell you what you need to add and how much for each chemical.

You've got the chemistry help you need, but I thought I would throw you a tip. Set up a tub or small kiddie pool and MAKE the kids step into before they climb the ladder and get in. It will help from tracking in a LOT of junk. You won't regret this I promise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.