PLEASE....I need serious help!! LOTS of Calcium buildup

Jun 13, 2013
I have an AG, 2nd summer this year. I have thick, and I mean thick, calcium buildup along the walls and cannot get it off! I've read numerous posts on here about using Muratic acid and plugging in numbers into the calculator to determine how much to use. Apparently I'm not smart enough to figure the calculator out. :?
So...can someone please help me. I'm getting so disgusted with this pool I'd really like to drive my truck into it. :grrrr:

22k gal., AG, 1.5HP Hayward, Cart. filter, Swimpro Voyager, Model #CC1750, Flow Rate 110 GPM, 06/2011 install, and I also have an automatic chlorine feeder if that matters.

FC - 1
CC - ?
pH - 7.5
TA - 160
CH - 250
CYA - ? cannot figure out how to do this test apparently. I think this was the test that the black dot "dissapears"?? Well, it never did.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

To figure out the amount of a chemical to use, enter your pool volume in the orange field near the top. Then, enter your current test results in the "Now" column and your desired levels in the "Goal" column. Hit the tab key or press the Calculate button at the top of the Pool Calculator to see what chemical & dosage you need to add to get to your goal levels. BTW, your current CH numbers look good.

BTW, here is a great post about managing Calcium Scale

tdrumm1 said:
CYA - ? cannot figure out how to do this test apparently. I think this was the test that the black dot "dissapears"?? Well, it never did.
If the black dot never disappeared, then your CYA is less than 20 ppm. You want to aim for a minimum of 30 ppm. Here are the Extended Test Kit Directions that may help with your testing procedures.

A couple of things to help us help you...
  • 1. Please add to your profile the state and nearest city in which you live. Your climate is important to the advice you receive. By doing this, it will appear in all your posts without you having to enter it each time.
    2. Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different.
Here's how to do both of the above: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.

One final comment: What are you using to test with? If you don't already have one, you will need a good test kit to properly manage your pool. Here is a comparison of the recommended Test Kits.

I am currently using a hth kit from the local retail store, because I think the strips Watson's gave us with the pool are pretty much useless. Please forgive my absolute ignorance in regards to all things pool related, but I have no idea what an SWG is. I have looked all over this site for a definition and haven't found one. So...I don't know if I have one or not.
I appreciate your response BoDarville, but I've read the information on the calcium scaling but it's not helpful in removing it from my pool. I have a vinyl liner and they are scrubbing off of tile, etc. Also, I'm sure all of you that run this site have probably written these instructions numerous times but I seriously need someone to "dumb" this down for me. I just need to know what to do. Also, if my CH seems fine why do I have such horrible scaling? It's seriously so bad that in spots you cannot see the liner! Ugh......so frustrated!! I called Watson's today and of course they were anything but helpful. Can this problem even be fixed?
Thanks again!!!

You may have to drain and acid wash or even buff the calcuim off if its really bad.

There are stories of people getting it off by reducing the pH of their water, but I had to buff and acid wash a friends pool a couple of years ago because they did not watch their water.

Can u acid wash an AG with vinyl liner? Here's a few photos from my IPhone, but the scaling is under the waterline extending to bottom of pool and feels like concrete. Thick enough to not be able to see the liner in some places.
* sorry photos too big to upload, I'll try on my laptop tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.