Information on a enclosure or cover for an intex sand filter

May 28, 2012
I know some of you guys have your pump and salt filter setups inside a plastic storage box, like a deck storage box. My question is, I am trying to come up any idea for the Intex sand filter with pump setup to store the unit from the elements of Mother Nature. Has anyone had any success with this? Thanks!!

Re: Information on a enclosure or cover for an intex sand fi

Ha..funny you're posting this. I have been going through the same dilemma. I just purchased a 2650 Intex pump and was planning to put it along with the salt water generator in an enclosure. I plan on putting something together this weekend.

The 2650 Intex pump is quite tall. I was planning on purchasing a deck box from Costco. This one sells for $99 at my local Costco. I am not crazy on spending $99 for something like this but it's better than building something from scratch. The 2650 pump is still too tall by a couple inches. I plan on cutting the bottom out of the deck box and leaving a flange that can sit on some pressure treated wood. This will have the deck box sitting taller by a couple inches. If you screw in to the flange that is remaining on the bottom, it should be secured to the pressure treated wood. Then trace out the size of the hose going in to the box and cut. Seems simple..should go as planned ; 0

Here's the deck box I am looking at..

http://www.costco.ca//.product.10352122 ... nt=Default

MattE71 said:
. I am not crazy on spending $99 for something like this but it's better than building something from scratch.

I would disagree :wink:
Building from scratch can be rewarding and not that expensive. I have about $60 in PT 2"x4", PT privacy lattice, pocket screws, continuous hinge, and wood glue. I admit that I looked for a deck box to house the equipment, and only opted on building one when I couldn't find one large enough that wasn't a zillion dollars. Also thought that motor cooling may become a concern in a completely enclosed box.

Attachments

• pump enclosure 2.jpg
    pump enclosure 2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 288
  • pump enclosure 1.jpg
    pump enclosure 1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 282

Ken

I like your setup, i think i may be doing to the same thing...couple 2x4's and some lattice....any tips? something you wish you had done?

Also, how much did your water level lower when you installed the through wall skimmer? I'm looking to do that soon also.

My equipment is sitting on a 2'x4' pad made from 8, 12"x12"x1.5" pavers. Design your enclosure to just sit on your pad. I used Kreg pocket hole joinery and glue to make the frame. I constructed the two ends first, and then joined them with three rails, omitting the lower pool side rail so that I could easily place and remove the enclosure for filter and plumbing maintenance. The lid is not framed except for a cleat glued and air stapled to the lattice to attach the continuous hinge. I'm not sure if over time the lid will warp, but it only spans 21" front to back so I'm hoping not. I also cut a hole in the front to allow backwash hose connection through the enclosure. The factory-supplied pump next to the sand filter will be dedicated to water circulation for the future solar heater.

I installed skimmer as high as possible without overlapping the thick gray seam. I wasn't comfortable bridging the uneven surfaces with the gasket. As shown in the picture, my water level is 2-1/4" below the gray seam. The skimmer flange is 1" wide. That leaves 1-1/4" of skimming space between the water surface and top of skimmer inlet. This is probably the maximum level of water that allows the skimmer to work properly even with some swimmer wave action, and yields a water depth of 45".

I'm thinking I should have used a section of flex PVC pipe in each stretch of plumbing from the filter to the pool. These soft-sided pools get to movin' and that's got to be placing some stress at fittings, etc. I'm helping a buddy do his mods and may experiment with the flex pipe in his application.

Good luck with your mods and post pictures of your project (Intex means "project" in Chinese :wink: ).

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 235
  • box on pad.jpg
    box on pad.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 248
  • hinge.jpg
    hinge.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: kpeavy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.