High PH, High TA, zero CYA

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
I've had 2 plastic jugs floating in the pool for over a week trying to dissolve socks full of CYA. Still no reading. Thought perhaps reagent was old, but reading here, it sounds like this is the most stable of all reagents, so not sure what's up with up with that (use Taylor's). Here are my concerns:

1. I plan to use ph down to lower ph from 8.2. Usually use muriatic, but found a bucket of the dry in the garage, so want to use that up.

2. I need to get CYA readings, as well as Chlorine. We will be going on vacation, and usually add pucks (usually do bleach only) for convenience of those staying at our place. I'm thinking I may start using pucks now to try to help add CYA and lower the pH as well and obviously add Cl.

3. Knowing the above info, how long does it take for the pucks to do there thing (add CYA and lower pH)? I have to give them a boost as I know the pucks will take some time, but wondered how long after I add the pucks, should I expect changes in the CYA and Ph levels? And, what should the flow rate be set at on the automatic Chlorinator?

Thanks so much for any advice. Keep battling slight green!!

You should never let PH get up to 8.2 in the first place. Always lower the PH before it gets that high. Keep in mind that the PH test is not reliable when FC is above 10.

Hanging CYA in a sock hanging from a floating jug isn't the best approach. You want to either put the sock in a skimmer or right in front of a return so it gets a lot of water washing over it.

What are your other levels? Without knowing where you are, there is no way to figure out where you need to go.

Do you have full test results for us to look at?

Jugs and socks of CYA? What exactly do you have going? The common method of adding dry CYA to the pool is a sock full extended in front of the return water, away from the liner/wall.

I guess I didn't phrase it correctly. By saying I need to get a reading on Cl and CYA, I meant...there is NO level....it's zero. I thought I posted TA, which is very high at 220. But, for some reason, where we are, I battle that every year. And yes, Jason Lion, I realize I shouldn't let it get that high! That's why I'm trying to lower it!! We have battled more rain than I can recall, and has been very difficult balancing anything. And I promise, I didn't make up the sock on the plastic jug thing..I read it here on this site as a way to dissolve it. I can't get it to stay by the return jet, and in the past, Id put it in the skimmer, and that didn't seem to give me a reading of much worth either. So, I thought I'd try the jug idea. I guess i will take what's left in the socks and try to dissolve in some boiling water. I assumed the method was ok as I didn't see anyone 'disclaim' it. So I guess consider that method 'disclaimed'!

Would someone be able to comment on the use of pucks please regarding my original post. Thanks!

The pucks purposely dissolve slowly, so all you can really do is know what they will do to FC, cya, ph, and TA once they are fully dissolved. You could break them up and/or use many to speed the process, but then your FC will go sky high and your ph crash quickly

spf30 said:
I guess i will take what's left in the socks and try to dissolve in some boiling water. I assumed the method was ok as I didn't see anyone 'disclaim' it. So I guess consider that method 'disclaimed'!
I have not heard of that working for anyone. Getting cya to go into solution requires a large volume (much larger than a bucket)since the water becomes saturated and no more cya will dissolve. I would hang your sock(s) in front of your pool return and give them a squeeze every time you go by.

When I first got this house and pool about two years ago, after we drained and refilled the pool with fresh water, the pool guy just threw CYA into the water. It sat on the bottom for a few days and dissolved. What is the problem with doing it that way. Why is the sock method recommended?

If you look at my sig you'll see my fill water has high TA, I don't worry about it too much. I keep my PH in range and I'm under 140 ppm TA now and it will keep coming down.

CYA can damage the liner, so can chlorine and muratic acid, that's why those are usually added in front of a return with the pump on.

I looked around here to see where I saw the sock on the beach bottle, but can't find it with a quick search. But, I swear I don't make this stuff up - I'm not that creative!! Anyway, we managed to hang it at the skimmer area, and it was mostly dissolved by then anyway, but still no reading. So I am going to resort to the pucks for a bit. I know enough time has lapsed from when I added the 'cya socks' to the water that something would have had time to register by now, but nothing. I am constantly adding bleach as well, to try to keep somewhat of a level of Cl as well. It's just frustrating since the only ones who have been able to tolerate the temp of the water so far has been a 9 year old!!!

spf30 said:
I looked around here to see where I saw the sock on the beach bottle, but can't find it with a quick search. But, I swear I don't make this stuff up - I'm not that creative!! Anyway, we managed to hang it at the skimmer area, and it was mostly dissolved by then anyway, but still no reading. So I am going to resort to the pucks for a bit. I know enough time has lapsed from when I added the 'cya socks' to the water that something would have had time to register by now, but nothing. I am constantly adding bleach as well, to try to keep somewhat of a level of Cl as well. It's just frustrating since the only ones who have been able to tolerate the temp of the water so far has been a 9 year old!!!

Just to help you out...
I see that posted by Richard320 in the following post toward the end of the thread:
adding-stabilizer-to-pool-t56067.html?hilit=float%20bottle%20cya

Richard320 said:
An alternative to hanging the sock in front of a return is to tie it to an empty bleach bottle or a pool noodle and just let it float around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.