Pool runtime help

May 20, 2013
Millbrae, CA
15,000 gallon pool. Pentair Clean & Clear 320 catridge filter. Pentair Intelliflo Variable speed pump.

Pump's stats are listed here:

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/products/pumps-inground-intelliflo-variable-speed-pump-430.htm

Currently set at 650 rpm for 9 hrs/day.

Pool gets alot of debris from neighboring trees and is starting to look green. The way I have it set right now is obviously too low of an RPM. Skimmer doesn't seem to be able to do its job either so I'm having to manually clean the water level junk often. I think a messy pool needs to turn over at least twice a day correct? What RPM and duration do you think I should run? Pentair customer service is a 30 min hold .. zzzz

Put a chlorine tablet in the skimmer to help with green pool. Also cleaning out or replacing my filter catridges this afternoon. The gauge on top reads zero even though the system is on. Not sure what's going on there.

The most energy efficient speed for the IntelliFlo is 1000 RPM, so there is no point in ever using a speed below that one. The skimmer(s) may require a higher speed to skim effectively, but usually not.

The great majority of pools need less than one turnover per day. If the water is turning green that is a chemical balance issue and nothing to do with the pump.

You really really need to know all of your chemical levels. Right now nearly anything and/or everything could be out of balance and there is no way to fix it with guess work. The best idea is to get your own top quality test kit, the best investment in your pool you can possibly make. For today, do you have test results from a pool store? They aren't very reliable but something is better than nothing.

JasonLion said:
The most energy efficient speed for the IntelliFlo is 1000 RPM, so there is no point in ever using a speed below that one. The skimmer(s) may require a higher speed to skim effectively, but usually not.

The great majority of pools need less than one turnover per day. If the water is turning green that is a chemical balance issue and nothing to do with the pump.

You really really need to know all of your chemical levels. Right now nearly anything and/or everything could be out of balance and there is no way to fix it with guess work. The best idea is to get your own top quality test kit, the best investment in your pool you can possibly make. For today, do you have test results from a pool store? They aren't very reliable but something is better than nothing.

Ordered my TF100 just last night :)

I cleaned the filter and will go set my pump at 1k How long should I have it run for? If there's a formula you can point me to that'd be great!

Also about the 1k efficiency. Wouldn't running it at lower rpm for longer save costs overall? Or is it just not moving enough water any lower speed to do anything for the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.