What kind of decking to use around AGP?

G

Hi everyone - totally new to this forum and whole pool thing, so please bear with me as I figure out what I am doing - on this site and with my pool! We are big do-it-yourselfers and I've learned a lot here from you all, so you are much appreciated!

We recently had a 18 x 33 oval LoMart AGP installed and now we are adding a deck around it, connecting to our existing deck. We are really struggling with what type of decking is best to use in general, but especially around a pool. The existing deck is an 8-year old Rhino Deck composite, yes it was before we knew all the composite problems of which we have had out share. We are not worried about matching the exisitng decking, rather more worried about finding something better for the new deck and to eventually replace the old deck with as well. Our new deck with be 1000 sq feet with about 150 feet of railing - yikes - and therefore price is an issue! Here are the facts we are down to:

Cedar: Definitely the least expensive option - the big plus. If we go with cedar we will put in a pvc or aluminum raiing system so at least we will only have to treat the decking annually, which will ease the maintenance some. Biggest con is the chance of splinters - I know if we treat it annually there will be less, but there are always some and I don't like having to wear shoes - that is what I LOVE about our existing composite.

Composite: the only true composite I would consider is Moistureshield, anyone have experience with this? Too worried about black mold spots otherwise, the main problem we've had with our existing deck.

Capped composite: Probably Timbertech Earthwood Evolutions. Pro's are better looks, less maintenance, supposed to be less staining. A little worried about swelling of the cut ends of a capped product with all the pool water and also about it getting too hot and being slippery. More expensive of course, but think for the most part I can still afford this - if we don't eat for a few weeks anyway.

PVC: Not as worried about the staining or swelling, more worried about the heat and slipperiness. This is what all the lumberyards are telling me to get because of the pool water and possibility of mold and swelling of the ends of cut boards. It is also the most expensive BY FAR and I realize they are trying to make money off of me. Not sure I can afford this - probably wouldn't eat for months. On the plus side I could lose a few pounds before this thing is done and I have to get into my swimsuit!

I am leaning AWAY from wood because of the splinters, even if kept up. Can some of you share your experience with me? What kind of decking have you used? What problems, if any, have you had? BTW we live in Iowa, sometimes weather makes a difference in decking issues I know. My husband is working on the footings and joists now so I have to decide soon, this decision is holding up the enjoyment of my pool (since the construction has it surrounded by dirt right now, ha).

Thanks for your advice!!!!
in the market for good floaties, a better pool cleaner than my 12-yr old, and some kind of pool lights??[/color]

I have the run of the mill Home Depot composite decking and I have been happy with it so far, this is my second season. It does get hot, but as soon as a little water is splashed on it, it stays cool. A little slippery, but the only one that has had any real problems with that is the dog when he is overexcited going after diving rings.

I am in the process of building a deck. I went with PT decking. a) my budget won't allow much more than that, b) I have been on a wet composite deck and it was extremely slippery c) I have been on more than a few composite decks that were HOT and d) I have been on composite decks that felt squishy in the heat, even with joists at 12" OC. I am attaching it to an existing PT deck. That deck is 7 years old and there are no issues with splinters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.