Glass in Pool

Munson

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2010
Easton, CT
Hi,

Purchased a new umbrella for our patio table this year. Today was a moderately windy day and which blew the table over. The glass shattered and the entire glass tabletop is now in the pool. I was thinking of vacuuming the glass, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem or do you have any ideas.

Note: My liner is vinyl so I know I have to be careful when vacuuming.

Attachments

• Glass in Pool.jpg
    Glass in Pool.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 366
Sorry to hear that. And, no need to say, but no glass around a pool, period.

Someone will read your post and go outside and move their glass tables to another location.
So you have helped someone else.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Richard320 said:
Welcome!

I'd try using the brush to push it in a pile, dive down and grab the big chunks with gloved hands, then try vacuuming the small stuff. If it won't lift, try silly putty to capture it.

Good advice. I think maybe if it's not too deep (that is shallow end, right?), you could get in there with sneakers on and use just the vac hose in your hand to get larger pieces than go through the vac head and with less chance of hurting the liner. Mask and snorkel may help. Keep the hose at an angle or it will suck on the liner.

If its the shallow end and you have a shop vac, then just use that really slowly and suck it up. Put hand on the end and let it off as you suck up the glass. I would try that first before vacuuming to the skimmer. Then do the skimmer vacuum with the sock on it like mentioned earlier. Good Luck.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I removed the table and umbrella from the pool last night after work and saw the extent of the damage. I decided to have a diver come and clean the pool. The liner and filter are brand new and I have 4 children who are looking to swim this weekend. Things have been crazy at work and I will not be able to clean the pool until Sunday. I consider this my father's day gift.

I have learned my lesson. NO GLASS around the pool and I will be sure to follow this when purchasing a new table.

Curious, what is the umbrella’s span and what is the weight of the stand?

I followed the advice on the site I bought umbrella’s from last summer, I used 110 lb. stands for my 3 umbrella’s.

http://www.patioshoppers.com/pages/Umbr ... izing.html

I’m only bringing it up because you wouldn’t want it to happen again ?

This is a problem for the insert I’ve seen too, no way to secure your umbrella to them.

Just to help others reading this, I'll post my solution.

Exact same thing happened to me in my 18x36 Vinyl Pool. After many attempts at using the vacuum only to find the glass filling up my vac hose and not making it into the skimmer, as well as being worried about missing some, I discovered a much easier method.

Glass sinks, even little shards, so as I moved around in the water I could see the glass flowing across the bottom in waves. I decided to attach a nozzle to my garden hose and take it into the pool, shooting the water across the bottom of the pool I started at one corner of our shallow end(right where the slope drops off) and worked my way back and forth, corraling all the glass and even other debris into the front corner of the pool. it worked beautifully. I could see the glass moving and knew if it was moving the bigger pieces, then the little shards were getting moved as well.

One tip, buy a Mask, not goggles.. big difference. Mine was a cheap $7 mask from wal-mart but it worked enough to do the job. Then, once the glass is in a pile in the corner, I brought out the shop vac and sucked it up out of the pool. Get the vac hose in place in the water, above the pile, then turn on the vac. Lift the hose up from the water and point it upward before turning the vac off.

BTW, my shop-vac of choice is the RIDGID 16 Gal Blower Vac at Home depot($119). I watched a pool cleaner suck a foot of black gunk water from the bottom of our pool when we first bought the house, with this vacuum, and I said that is the one I need. It got good reviews too.. just make sure you buy the optional WET sponge filter(about $16).

I did this process twice to make sure I got it all, then I used the same method down the slope, pushing everything into a corner in the deep end, only I used my fingers and pool vac to pick up this pile, since there wasn't as much and the shop-vac couldn't reach the bottom. Then I used the brush and swept the entire pool toward the main drain, just to make sure there weren't any tiny shards in the shallow end that I somehow missed. If so, my regular vacuuming will get everything over time.

-Robert
Charlotte, NC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.