Here are my numbers:
FC 11
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 120
CH300
CYA 80
temp 85

Pool looks awesome! Except a few patches of algae that I spotted a few days ago. Looking at the pool school I need to lower the PH a little bit than increase the FC based on the CYA being 80, correct? Run the pump 24/7 What should I have the intellichlor set to while running 24/7? Can the chlorine get too high? I have the IC40 on 20K gunite.

Thanks a lot!!

Re: First time tester!!

AZnewbie said:
Could you please help me out as well?

Here are my numbers:
FC 11
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 120
CH300
CYA 80
temp 85

Pool looks awesome! Except a few patches of algae that I spotted a few days ago. Looking at the pool school I need to lower the PH a little bit than increase the FC based on the CYA being 80, correct? Run the pump 24/7 What should I have the intellichlor set to while running 24/7? Can the chlorine get too high? I have the IC40 on 20K gunite.

Thanks a lot!!
pH is okay where it is. Add chlorine bleach to get it to 21. Brush, brush, brush that algae. I'd leave the SWG where it is so it keeps the FC level up some. Recheck every couple hours and add more bleach as needed until that algae is all gone. Brush some more. It might take a couple days. Then you can shut the SWG off and run the overnight loss test.
[center:1uqjsdk8][youtube:1uqjsdk8]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:1uqjsdk8][/center:1uqjsdk8]

Re: AZpoolnewbie

Welcome to the forum. :lol:
Except a few patches of algae that I spotted a few days ago
despite decent numbers, visible algae means you need to shock the pool. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Then, read "How to Shock Your Pool".

Those will surely generate some questions on your part and we'll help get your started.

Thanks a lot for the help!

So, I have brushed, brushed and brushed, added 6 gallons of chlorine (had it at the house) and will test the water in another hour or so. If the FC isn't up, I'll have to get the bleach. I actually brushed the algae off the pool yesterday and none was visibly present about an hour ago when I was out there.

Is it fair to say I caught this early and with the numbers good and water looking good; we should be swimming again in a couple days?

Okay, just tested again and the FC is way up, 24.5 and the CC is actually 2. I just got the K-2006 today and think I may have made a mistake the first time.

Ill measure again tonight after the sun goes down and I'm done adding any chemicals. Should I wait to do the overnight test until the CC is at .5 or less or should I do it tonight and see if we have a drop in the FC?

Whoa! Maybe I over did it. The sun is down now. I tested the water and got a FC reading of 29 and a CC of .5. Pump is running and completely turned the generator off; no other form of chlorine in the pool. Hopefully it passes the test tonight!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Richard. What should be my target FC level? I'll test the CYA again to make certain.

To keep this from happening again, could the culprit be my wok pots? I turned them in after 10 days of having them off and they were real ugly looking. By the time I saw the water coming out it was too late for the actuator to close fast enough to turn them off. Maybe a couple tabs of chlorine in the pots will do? Or maybe schedule the pots to come on for a couple minutes everyday. I'd hate to burn up the actuators using them everyday when chlorine tabs are much cheaper. Your thoughts?

AZnewbie said:
Thanks Richard. What should be my target FC level? I'll test the CYA again to make certain.

This chart in pool school should help: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

AZnewbie said:
To keep this from happening again, could the culprit be my wok pots?

I'm very confused... What does this mean?

You mentioned solid chlorine pucks in your post after this. Using then will raise the CYA levels... And generally only dilution well then lower your levels.

Sent via Tapatalk...

I was thinking of putting a puck in each pot to keep the water from going green from not using them for a while and then the green water mixing with the main body as soon as they're turned on. Shouldn't be a problem now as we're in the pool everyday and turn them on while out there. I think I'll just schedule the feature to turn on daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.