Complete Newb From Northern Maryland

ASAP

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2013
This site is the best!!!

We are in the process of getting our first pool. I decided to go with an AGP as a test to see if my kids and wife will use it enough to warrant an inground pool.

I've applied for the permit and will hopefully have the approval tomorrow, received the estimate from the electrician(ouch), and decided on a 16x28 or 15x30. I still haven't decided on a Doughboy from Van Dorn Pools or some other brand from another dealer.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Good luck on the build. I am sure it will get used a lot. I don't know about the others you named but Doughboy has odd ball skimmer and return fittings if you want to hard plumb it. It can be done. They sell adapters to change it over to PVC. Don't know if it was the pool stores package or Doughboy's when we got ours. They seem to like to undersize the filter and oversize the pump. It's good you found this place before you have a pool. Read and learn. Don't come home with 2 or 3 hundred dollars worth of start up chemicals. It's not needed. I was sold on a pool frog that was used for three months. Should have got the basic pool and separate pump and filter on my own.

BTW... Go on and order your test kit. I would get the TF-100. It's you best bang for the buck.

Finally purchased our pool after a week of intense research. Decided on an Embassy Century 16x28 with a 20mil Doughboy liner and Doughboy pump and sand filter. My research into liner and pump/filter costs saved me about $700 after negotiating with the salesman. Install is schedule for 7/1.

Can't wait to try the TF test kit that arrived a couple days after I bought!!

duraleigh said:
Can't wait to try the TF test kit that arrived a couple days after I bought!!
Test your fill water now and post the results. It'll give you practice and also point up any issues that might need adjusting.

Thanks for shipping the test kit so quickly. I am getting two loads of water on the day of installation.

Congratulations on your new purchase! Take a lot of pics!!!

Welcome to TFP. :cool:

It's official, we are AGP owners. The pool was installed this morning and the second load of water will be here in about an hour. I can't image trying to set up a pool myself...5 guys that know what they are doing and a Bobcat took 4 hours and a lot of effort.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support