Pool & Underground Utilities

Jun 13, 2013
We have been looking into a pool for a while and thought we had everything planned out and enough room and such, but I completely overlooked the gas line to our house. No matter where I would put a pool in my back yard, I will end up overlapping the the gas line by about 18". By our city code, we can not do this.

My question is, is this just due to the fact they do not want you to have to potential issue with the gas company ever having to repair the line, forcing you to remove the pool, or is there another issue, like the fact that the gas line may only be burried to 18" or so and the weight of the pool being able to crush or bend the line as it compacts this soil? I have looked everywhere and cannot find any one mentioning a dangerous aspect, just the utility easement thing.

Basically, I am just looking to see if the idea of me having a pool in this yard should be scrapped or not.

i wouldnt worry about it. my gas, phone, water, and electrical lines all run right in the middle, underneath our 3 car wide driveway on our new house. that pool isnt going to hurt your lines anymore than all that concrete and vehicles will hurt mine. the only lines you can really hurt with weight are septic lateral lines, and even then it takes a lot of weight.

gtnos said:
i wouldnt worry about it. my gas, phone, water, and electrical lines all run right in the middle, underneath our 3 car wide driveway on our new house. that pool isnt going to hurt your lines anymore than all that concrete and vehicles will hurt mine. the only lines you can really hurt with weight are septic lateral lines, and even then it takes a lot of weight.

You can't get a permit to install the pool if it doesn't meet the city code.

JohnT said:
gtnos said:

You can't get a permit to install the pool if it doesn't meet the city code.

true. my bad as i dont have to have a permit for AG pool where im at....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.