Newbie vacuum question

May 31, 2013
Virginia
What happens when you vacuum? Does the water still go through the filter? My daughter vacuumed the pool last night before a pool party and did not turn the vacuum off. After the party (15-20 kids in our small pool) the water was cloudy, could not see the bottom. I bleached and let the pump run another 3 hours or so before shutting it off for the night. This morning the pool was still just as cloudy so I went and looked at the pump and she had not turned off the vacuum as she thought she had. So I'm just wondering, where does the water go when vacuuming? Since I turned the vacuum off (about an hour ago) the pool is becoming clearer.

Is your vacuum a suction side cleaner? If so and you just have a 3-way valve on the suction line to select between the skimmer and the cleaner, then the water just goes through the filter like normal.

Do you switch to full suction through the vac or just partial?

If full, there is a lot more resistance through the vac, so the flow rate will be less. Odds are the vac does not need full flow (usually they have a gauge so you know if you have the right amount of suction) and you could keep the skimmer partially open which would increase the flow rate through the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.