Initial "Super Shock" necessary for BBB? When CYA?

Jun 11, 2013
I'm switching to the BBB method today. I've just drained and refilled the pool yesterday due to gigantic CYA levels.

After adding some chlorine last night and running the pump all night here are my numbers in the morning:
FC: 2
TC: 2
CC: 0
pH: 7.6
alk: 110
CH: 170
CYA: 0

My Taylor test kit recommends initially "super-shock the pool (at dusk) to about 30 ppm FC to satisfy any chlorine demand and cleanse the newly added source water. Stabilize the pool with CYA to 50 ppm."

Should I add the stabilizer before, at the same time, or after this super-shock?

Also, should I raise the CH to 250 before beginning the super-shock?

If the water came out of the tap, you shouldn't need to "supershock". In fact, until the CYA is added, anything much above 10 is going to be supershock!

Granular CYA takes a few days to dissolve, so put that in soon, your call whether you want to do it before you raise FC to 3 or after. But you can do them back-to-back. Use the sock method for the CYA, don't be pouring it down the skimmer or let it sit on the pool surface!

You can add calcium first, then chlorine and CYA. Your calcium needs to be at least 250 ppm. Keep an eye on the water while the CYA is dissolving and bump up the FC if it starts to look cloudy.

I agree with Richard. My CH was 130ppm when I refilled ... just kept the pH a little on the higher side to maintain a good CSI (although this might be a little advanced for Tiggy). Now 2 months later my CH is 180ppm and we are getting hotter.

So, I would say do not add any CH and just keep the pH between 7.5-7.8 and you will be fine.

I would also suggest taking the CYA up to around 50ppm eventually.

Thanks for the quick replies. The water is indeed tap water, so no need to shock at all?

So at dusk tonight I will do the following:
Raising FC to 5 by adding 124 oz of 10% bleach (assuming all the FC from last night has burned off, will test again to be sure)
Raising CYA to 20 by adding 53 oz of solid stabilizer (using sock method)

I want to raise the CYA very slowly as I am still worried that some CYA from before might have stuck to the walls/floor while it was drained. After a week, I'll go up to 50 ppm.

I'm going to wait on making the CH call. I'm also waiting on making the decision to add this Bioguard "pool magnet" sequestrant. I'm ordering a metal test and will wait for results (the pool store says I have no metal in the water, but I remain skeptical).

Does this look right?

What did the water look like before you drained?
If there was any algae then I would suggest:
Get the FC up to around 3ppm, and add the CYA up to 20-30ppm
Once the CYA is in the water, raise the FC up to about 10ppm and perform the OCLT to see if anything is still lingering in the pool.
Pass ... and you can maintain normal FC levels and add CYA later
Fail ... and you should follow the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS

The water was clear before draining (I had recently shocked it), but had a teal-green tint. It also sported a CYA level so high that 2 or 3 drops blanked out the black spot on the test kit.

I have the sock of CYA in the skimmer now. I will add chlorine when sun is down.

Now, when the CYA is dissolved and FC is at correct level, is it okay to swim?

TiggySlim said:
The water was clear before draining (I had recently shocked it), but had a teal-green tint. It also sported a CYA level so high that 2 or 3 drops blanked out the black spot on the test kit.

I have the sock of CYA in the skimmer now. I will add chlorine when sun is down.

Now, when the CYA is dissolved and FC is at correct level, is it okay to swim?
You don't even have to wait for the CYA to fully dissolve. If the overnight test passes, you don't need the shock process, and can go swimming immediately if FC is below shock level for the CYA. Anything below 10 FC, really.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.